Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more power!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87'k5boggin, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 87'k5boggin

87'k5boggin Registered Member

ok so my question is what can i do fairly cheap but not hacked up to get more power out of my 87 blazer with 350/700r4/203/10bt front and rear with 4.11's with 36's and still get reasonable gas mileage :eek: because it is a dd? i dont need like a super bad a$$ motor just some more grunt and get up and go.

i read some where here about using vortech heads, what all is needed to run these?

2. chris walker

chris walker Registered Member

if its tbi you can have the tbi unit rebuilt and get some performance parts for it that would get you least 20hp plus if you retune the computer thats like another 10hp then you could get a new cam since the computer would need tuning for that anyway so two birds 1 stone thats good for about 40hp then some headers doul pipes and your good for least 300hp and maybe 380TQ maybe higher depends on milage if your motor has a lot of miles this stuff will actually make it die sooner because of heat and whay not so there you go

3. 87'k5boggin

i was looking at the jet chip stage 2 and the holley tbi unit together i think they should make power with some headers.

4. chris walker

chris walker Registered Member

I've heard of people having problems with the holley Tbi plus I dont think it works if you mod the comp not sure though

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

That jet chip is crap. Dont buy it. All its really gonna do is bump the timing up and require you to run premium fuel.

The best power enhancer for the tbi motor is a set of vortec heads. These can open up 30-40 hp. Headers and good exhaust are always a plus. An edelbrock performer tbi manifold also helps out, so does a nice cam. If you do heads and a cam, then the stock computer chip will ne to be replaced.

To find real computer chips and not the jet crap, go to
    www.tbichips.com
    or
    www.turbocity.com.

Those chips are much nicer.
    -Harrison

6. 87'k5boggin

thanks for the info do i have to do any thing special for the vortech heads?

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If your gonna run vortec's, you also need a compatible intake manifold. Im not exactly sure which one that is.

Try searching on www.jegs.com

or

www.summitracing.com.

This has been covered on here many times before so if you search ck5 enough you may find the part number.
    -Harrison

8. 87'k5boggin

ok i wasnt sure what i had to do but first thing i will get is headers, any recomendations?

9. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you have to stay smog legal, go with the Edelbrock TES headers.

10. 87'k5boggin

no smog for me:D

11. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Then get some ceramic coated long tubes. :D

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your engine has a lot of miles then just build a new motor, I would.

13. RTMENT

RTMENT Newbie

Just run the edelbrock total power package I did and i love it heads cam intake edelbrock even sends you the free chip that does not require premium fuel mine runs great i invested in headers and full roller rockers 375 Hp no problems and still a great daily driver any questions dont hesitate to ask..

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm by no means an engine expert, but I'm a little skeptical of some of the claims. Please let me know if I'm way off base and these numbers are realistic.

1. You can get 300 HP from a cam, upgraded TBI unit, and a chip?? This engine was only rated 200-210 HP from the factory, so jumping to 300 HP is a 50% increase.

2. You can get 375 HP from a set of heads, cam, intake, headers and chip running regular grade fuel?? That's a 90% increase in power. What did you do for fuel? Pretty sure the stock TBI can't support that much power without a decent amount of work?

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

1. The 210 HP rating is SAE net HP. The engine is rated with all accessories and emission equipment attached.
    SAE gross HP is Fly Wheel horsepower with no accessories or smog.. FW hp on a TBI 350 is prolly around 225-230 HP.
    Even with the stock heads(ported) moderate computer cam ect you can get 280-290 hp at the flywheel (SAE gross) with the the stock TB.
    But
    That is around the max the stock TB will support. If you want to get over 300 HP you will need more air. That means a larger TB.

2...IIRC The Edelbrock power package available for TBI is the basic power package. It only gives around 325 HP on SBC with a performer 600 cfm carb. TBI power will be quite a bit lower than that with the stock 480 CFM TB.
    You will never get 375 HP out of a stock 350 throttle body on a NAd engine. I think that falls into the fantasy realm:D

16. dizzzyk10

dizzzyk10 Registered Member

As far as headers go Hedman Elite Headers are the way to go from alot of people from what i have gathered. I will be installing my set of Hedmans this weekend. The set i got has the ball n socket collector which moves the collector further forward away from the spring shackle on the passenger side.

Dirk

17. K10 KRAWLER

K10 KRAWLER 1/2 ton status

L.M.C sells a 670cfm holley throttle body that gives you a 25% hp increase

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd like to know where they get a 25% HP increase. There ain't nothing on a stock TBI motor that's choking every other component so bad that 25% is going to come from a single part change. That's roughly 50HP. I can't believe they can print that stuff. Power means more air AND fuel, moved through more efficiently...the throttle body isn't the only thing limiting how much air and fuel a stock TBI motor can ingest.

Test bed was probably a 1987 truck with a plugged cat and 6 plug wires. (and in small print: we changed the exhaust and ignition at the same time)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My guess the claim should be more along the lines of "this throttle body can SUPPORT a 25% increase in power". Just like the idea of putting a bigger carb on an engine....it doesn't increase the power unless the original one is restricting the engine.