Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Power!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 8BaLL, Aug 23, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I finally got a cobra cb. I put one wilson 3ft fiberglass antenna on my truck. I can only get about a two mile range out of it. How can I get better reception and power? I have read where the truckers can get about a 10 mile range. Is that true? How far can you guys be away from someone? Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I normally get 10 to 20 miles range with the set up in my Blazer. The key is a good antenna. I myself use a 102" stainless steel whip mounted on my overhead light bar. My radio is a Galaxy DX-99V with a handheld D-104 power mic.

3. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

First of all, range depends on conditions. During the peak of the skip cycle, you won't get crap for range. Now that it's declining I can get about 10-25 miles on the 40 cb channels or *ahem* slightly more on some near by frequencies that aren't exactly legitimate to be utilized to their potential... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Get that antenna up absolutely as high as possible. You want at least 2/3 of the antenna over top of the roof for best results. I use magnetic mount Wilson 5000 centered on my roof... Did you get your SWR's set? That will be important for a few reasons, the biggest two being that you radiate the power you have most efficiently, and it helps keep the radio from being damaged...

But it's mostly conditions, nobody can specifically say how far out you'll get, could be a mile, could be 100 or more miles... Sometimes nature is very strange when it comes to radio transmissions/communications... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

If you do decide to ever run any power, make sure it's an AB biased amplifier. Of course any amp is illegal but the AB will help ensure you have the cleanest output possible (less IMD (bleed over) and so forth)... Also if you want to run any power make sure nobody has removed any limiters from the radio, and so forth... And make sure they match the settings in the radio to the capabilities of the amp so it's not over driven (even an AB amp, when over driven will result in IMD/bleed over)... Also even with a "pre-amp" (which boosts received signal into the radio) it probably won't help to increase your reception very much, only distance you can transmit)...

Is there any engine noise present? It'd be in the form of a whine, or other sounds that vary with engine speed... Might want to track down the cause of said noises and that should get you a lower noise floor so you can hear better... If it's an issue... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

How do I set my swr's?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You really don't set SWR's (Standind Wave Ratio) You'll need a SWR meter, depending on what type of antenna you have, I tell you how to tune it for lower SWR. For an atenna, I would recomend a K40 with a tunable tip. That way you should be able to adjust themm if the SWR is high. Does your radio have a built in SWR meter ??? If so, Click it to Calibrate, hold how key on mike, turn knob till the meter reads set. Set bact to SWR and key up to read SWR. Do not talk while setting or reading.

6. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

where can i get an swr meter and how much does it cost? does the meter just hook into my cb or what so i can test it??

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

http://www.hyelectronics.com/ Usely has the better prices. I'd just find someone local who has one and see if they'll do it for ya. If you were close to the Rapid City, SD. area I'd do it for ya at no cost. Some radio's have built in SWR meters. Does your radio have a switch marked SWR/Cal. ???

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Radio shack for $20.