Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more power!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

help!! i have a huge problem, when i start my k5 up she smokes a little, but as soon as i take off it will jsut about die on me, like almost completely off. that has happened for about 1 week. then starting 2 days ago once i get going in 1st gear, it will not change to 2nd gear untill REALLY high rpm, then once it does switch to the 2nd gear, it will no have ANY POWER, i could have the pedal to the metal and i wont be going ne where basically.
    can anyone help me? is it a bad fuel filter that caused this or bad tranny, i REALLY hope it aint a bad tranny cause i dont have lots of $$ at the moment, please help me. thanks guys.

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I think you have the same problem that I have right now. I think it's in your kickdown cable. Have you tried adjusting it ? Have you recently taken off your manifold or carburetor ? If so, then you need to adjust your kickdown cable otherwise it won't hit the shift points correctly. Don't drive it much or you'll ruin your tranny. I hope this helps and that's what it is........any other ideas guys ????

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

What kind of tranny is in the truck??????????????
    A 400 trans uses vacuum to shift gears. see if the vacuum line is off the selinoid on the trans and the fitting on the intake or if its cracked. that will cause no shifting or delayed shifting. As for a dramatic loss in power, check your fuel filter and all of your spark plug wires, maybe a few popped off. How about your air filter. An engine is just a big air pump. Make sure yours can pump.....JS

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

How about if I have a 350 tranny ??

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

How about if I have a 350 tranny ??

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I dont mean this to insult you, but have you checked your tranny fluid lately? If it is really low it can cause the problems you have described. If that is the problem make sure and check the tranny fluid lines that go up to the radiator. If those are all good find why it is low. (front, rear seals, pan, etc.) If everything checks out and you find out you need to get your tranny rebuilt i would suggest you take it out and put in yourself, and just have someone rebuild it. I did that with one of my cars, and saved over a grand. It is not difficult, but make sure you get a How to book for your truck. That way you get all of the torq specks and everything. Good luck!

Sparky

78 K-5

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Also, If you want to know if it is your tranny or not: First check the rpm. If you are at high rpm and not going anywhere you probably have a tranny problem. If you dont have any rpm then it is probably engine related. If it is the engine there is a thousand things to check. (all ignition compnents, distributor, plugs, wires, cap rotor, timeing, carbureator, fuel filter, exaust leak at the header. The list gos on.) The best way to pin point the problem again is to get a how to book for your truck. You can buy them at any parts store. I recomend the Chilitions ones. They seem to be the best.

78 K-5

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

DUDE i just thought of another definate possibility. You might have a clogged catalytic converter. A good friend of mine had the same thing happen on his monte carlo. We just hollowed it out and WOOOPie even more horse.. We were really beating on the thing before this happened, like 100 miles an hour for 45 minutes. Were you beating on the K5 before this problem. What your descibing is the SAME EXACT THING. Check the cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am no expert, but my camshaft was worn down so bad there was about a 1/4 in wear on a few select cylinders. Terrible huh? I had to take the whole damn thing out again and change the bearings. I can see clearly now, the smoke is gone.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

It can't be either of those reasons for me ...I have a brand new Beck Engine and no catalytic converters.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I was having your problem with a 350 tranny, it turned out to be a pinhole in the rubber vacuum line at the back of the tranny. The hole wasn't enough to cause the engine to run too bad, but the tranny wouldn't shift well and when taking off in the cold the engine would almost die.

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

12. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>How does the engine seem to be running in neutral or park? Does it seem to be fine (sound OK, idle fine, etc)? Does it only seem to do this in gear, under a load? It kinda sounds like it might be starving for fuel, or a vacuum leak, or both. (It almost sounds like 2 different problems, but it could be 1.) Check the vacuum line on the carb. or intake (does it have a tee fitting, I have seen these cracked as well) and follow it down to the transmission modulator, if you pull it off while the engine is running, you should have plenty of vacuum on your finger. Is there enough transmission fluid, does it smell burnt, is it brown or red? We need more details.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html