Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More pulling power.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mountain goat, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Mountain goat

Mountain goat Newbie

Bought a '76 Chevy C-10 eleven years ago for $495. 350/350, 2WD, 3.73 rear (no limited slip), 15" tires. Lots of body rust, no air conditioning, runs great, pleasure to drive. Has optional heavy-duty rear springs (7 leaves), can cary 3,000 lbs. without rubber bump stops contacting axle. Recently using to haul gravel up steep gravel road. If too little weight in rear, tires spin and truck fails to go up hill. If too much weight in rear, truck stops on hill until some weight is removed.

Would a bolt-in swap with a slightly higher ratio rear end with limited-slip be a good choice for better pulling power up a steep gravel hill? Anyone know of a part number likely to be found at reasonable cost in junk yards? Since the current rear seems to be in good shape, would it be better to put a limited slip in it? Any recommendations appreciated. Gas mileage not critical due to overall economics of vehicle.

2. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

Not sure if that would make much of a difference....Thought about some sand bags in the bed? Might be the easiest thing. Probably wouldn't change the gas miledge much.

Ray

3. gallup

gallup Registered Member

What size 15" tires do you run? 235's? or something larger.
    If you have increased your tire size then you have changed your gearing. You can effectively change your ratio by merely going from a235 to a 215 of the same profile (75 or 85, etc) if the 235 was your stock tire on the door sticker you would be running about a 3.90 gear instead of a 3.73. You probably don't want a higher gear, only higher in number but considered a lower gear.
    This also works in reverse and if you went taller on tire size you can hurt your gear and may be at around 3.50 or so which even though a lower number is a higher gear. This will lower your rpm at speed and cause you to lug up the hill. When you are loaded do you just lug down and stall til you remove weight or do you start to spin?
    As for posi? I like it but it chews up tires if too tight. I drive lots of gravel roads and mud treads wear out in about 10K miles if I run loaded simply from the posi not giving easy enough and wearing the tread off. Lockers are even worse at this. You can get limited slips that slip easier, and these don't wear the tires as much, also work better on ice, but give and take...they slip too easy for my taste. Sounds like you need to keep your open carrier and just get a 4x4!