Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More questions about my Vortec swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Aug 2, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

You guys have been a great help so far and I'm on the right track. Thanks especially to PureInsanity.. I have an in-tank electric TBI fuel pump, I can't put a mechanical pump on the newer motor, what is the easiest fastest way to get fuel at the right pressure for my carb? Pressure regulator? New low press elec pump? Do I need new fuel lines all the way from the pump? Oh yeah, and I need a new oil pan since the one on there right now has a hole in it. I can't seem to find the right pan on Summit...anybody have a part number or something so I can find the right one. Thanks again everybody

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK I cant help you on the oil pan, but yes you CAN put a pump on there. I forgot that part. Youll need the block off and fp push rod out of an older motor. OR you can regulate the TBI pump down to 4-6 PSI w/ an inline regulator. New lines are not ness. either way.

PS MAYBE an 86 up pan will work. I never looked into it. My pan was fine. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I like option #2 with the inline regulator. Any good ones out there? Can I get one at Autozone or do I need to order from Summit? Now I feel better since at least I know which parts to order. And last but not least, how in the blue hell am I supposed to put a motor in a truck 10" lifted with 40" tires? I know you guys will know that answer, I sure don't though

4. Pure Insanity

How bout 9" and 38s. LOL! Take a look at my weshots. Look in the under construction album. Youll see how I did it.

The only other option was to use a fork lift. HEHE!

The reg. can be gotten at A.Z.

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Oh freakin no. I think I'm gonna have to rent a forklift or find someone with one. LOL I'll have to schedule an entire day off just to take the front clip off. And one more thing, my dumb ass already ordered a hydraulic cam, selection was very limited on roller cams, and even when I found one that I wanted, Summit had it on backorder. So I will need pushrods I guess? Are they special Vortec pushrods only available at GM or can I use regular 350 pushrods?

6. Pure Insanity

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Oh come on now its just nuts and bolts. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I think it took me less than an hr to pull it. Pulled the hood and took off the front in one peice. You may see the clip laying around in one of the pics.

Regular pushrods are what I used. BUT the rockers are not. They are slotted. If you get roller tip rockers youll need the Vortecs. I think Proform makes them.

OH MAJOR THING! The valve springs will only take so much lift. I dont recall what it is, I have heard .460-.490, I think I have a .460, Id have to find my specs to know for sure.

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Whoa, that's not too bad at all. I figured at least half a day to pull it off. I went with one of those Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4 cams, very mild I believe. The duration is 206/214 and lift is 432/453. That is pretty mild right? But if I have to change pushrods and rockers and all that crap, I think I'll just leave the cam alone and go with whatever is in there. Thanks for all your help man, I knew somebody had a rig like mine who also agreed with the carb setup.

8. Pure Insanity

The rockers that are in there are fine. Theyll work, thats what I run. If theyre NOT in the re I am not positive but I think 86 up w/ the slot will work.

The cam you chose should be fine.

The biggest thing to the front clip is knowing where all the bolts are. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Pulling the frt. clip takes about an hour and a buddy to help lift it off you don't even need to remove the hood. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Pure Insanity

Depending on the year. 81 up the hood needs to be removed. Its hinged to the cowl. 80 and earlier is hinged to the fenders. I didnt think to look and see what yr his rig is.

11. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

mine is an 85 and the spring hinge is on the fender and the hinge is on the cowl. Just unbolt the spring hinge and leave the other on then you don't need to pull the hood on an 85. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Pure Insanity

Yeah that would work. I didnt really think about it when I pulled mine. I whipped out the air hose and the front clip fell off. LOL! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Prob helps that Ive been in body work for 13 yrs and have no fear of yanking sheet metal. Youd never know it to look at PI, I still havent alinged the front end after I put it back on. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

And his is an 87 BTW. I remembered to look. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Man pulling the frt. clip makes the job easy. This would be a good time the add the weld in brace to the p/s box if he has not done it yet. Do you agree????????? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Yes yes, I agree

15. Pure Insanity

Not to mention its a perfect time to clean up everything. While mine was apart I cleaned prepped and painted the inner fenders (gloss black), firewall and the inside of the fenders (3 stage white w/ blue pearl). I painted the frame too. From front to back (also gloss black). Cant hardly tell now to look at it but it makes working in there much nicer w/ everything clean. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

When I first started PI I planned to make it show quality but still wheel it to death, /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , but things have changed /forums/images/icons/grin.gif and Im going back to basics, just white, no pearls and graphics or custom body work. Well a little custom b/w but not much. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

16. Pure Insanity

Just thought of 1 last thing (I hope) You need to get a timing chain set for a SBC. The roller cams have a different bolt circle than Hyd. There is also a cam retaining ring behind the cam gear. You wont need it when you go Hyd. Just set aside all the roller stuff for later incase you get a roller later.

You could also get a gear drive for that cool whine. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif