Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More questions for a new K5 owner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mcvaaahhh, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mcvaaahhh

mcvaaahhh Registered Member

I'm a proud new owner of an 85 K5 with a 350. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

The truck needs a couple of things and I thought I'd ask the questions here and see if anybody can help a nOOb out.

Electrical problem. With the headlights on if I put the truck in reverse (auto) it kills it. There's obviously a short somewhere but just wondering if anybody knows where I should start looking.

Catalytic converter: The truck came from California and the guy took the cat out of it. How is this going to effect me for getting emissions here in CO? I need to replace most of the piping as it's all rusted and leaking all over the place. Do I need to have a new cat installed as well? Any ideas on what muffler/exhaust sytem I should have installed and where to have it done at? Also, I think it needs to be adjusted for high-altitude. It's running a little rough right now and I'm thinking that may be part of the problem. What do I need to do for that?

Spare Parts: I need a couple of things for the truck, namely a new driver's side corner vent window and the antenna mount on the back left corner (not sure if this is stock or not). Where can I get these things? I've checked eBay with no luck.

Thanks again for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5!

A lot of that depends on what part of Colorado you live in.

If you have to do emissions testing, you'll have to have the cat. (Glad I don't have to do emissions /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
    Can't recommend a place unless you're from up here in North Colorado.

Once you're a full member, you may be able to get some of the parts from the For Sale forum here. Also check local u-pull-it places.

3. mcvaaahhh

mcvaaahhh Registered Member

I'm in Lakewood (West Metro area) and I'm pretty sure I need to have the cat installed. Damn, was hoping I could get away without it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

People are more willing to help you when you fill out your profile /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I would check the local junk yard for misc. parts you need........ /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif