Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Mar 10, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, a while back I got confirmation that a 6 lug rotor is available that will go on a 14bff rear disc settup. Has anyone got this setup/conversion? If so, how much was the complete brake kit? What do you use for an e-brake then? I know I've read about this, but can't find anything via search. Is there anybody that sells the entire rear disc brake kit? Who sells the 6 lug rotors? I saw someone on ebay selling the brackets and then just a parts list for your local parts store. That might work too, but I want a ballpark of cost.

So, what I plan to do then if the six lug rear disc is available, is to get a 14bff with 4:56's, open carrier, and install a detroit carrier. Then get a detroit and 4:56's for my corp 10 bolt front. Then put in a decent top end and headers on the tired 350 TBI, maybe get a performance chip, and call it good. That seems easier, cheaper, and faster than trying to get a 3/4 ton parts truck and swapping stuff in between. Getting 36 IROK's too baby!

Speaking of top ends, I think I read that newer vortec small block heads will fit on a 1990 350. Also, I read that it is advantageous to get a high flow intake manifold like an edelbrock or something and then just get a TBI adapter plate. Last is the cam. I heard that comp cams has a good RV cam for this type of setup. Speak up please, this is my best plan yet, and the 250K miles she has is getting the best of the K5 DD. Once I get her all fixed up, then it's time for a rice rocket DD of some kind and time to scratch the hell out of the K5's paint off road.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Go to www.azkickin.com and buy their disk-brake conversion kit for the axle you have (in this case, 14 bolt FF). Then, go to the parts store and buy 2 rotors for a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup (if the parts store needs a year, just tell them it's a '79 K20)...these will be 8 lug. On the 14 bolt FF, the drum (or in this case rotor) is held onto the hubs via the wheel studs...therefore with an 8 lug hub, you need an 8 lug rotor. The only way you could get 6 lugs out of doing this swap is if you also purchased an 8-to-6 lug adaptor and bolted that on at the end.
    Ballpark of cost. You can do it for right around $200. That includes the purchase of the rotors, calipers (same as the front calipers), and brackets. However, if you have the shop press on your rotors, you'll be hit with labor costs and then the project will be more than $200.
    As for e-brake...you have two options. Use regular Chevy calipers and forget about an e-brake. Or, buy some Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers from '76-'78 (I think)...these have a mechanical parking brake. Search the forums for "caddy calipers" and you'll find a lot of info.
    Yes, vortec "L31" heads will bolt onto your 350. Again, search the forums for "vortec heads" and you'll find more info than you could ever want. The intake you buy has to be specifically for vortec heads because the bolt pattern is different. The TBI version is about $300, the carb version is about $180 (I think)...that's why guys are buying the carb ones and using an adaptor plate.
    Comp Cams makes good cams. But, don't just go buying any cam. Call their 1-800 number and talk to a rep. They will ask you for engine size, engine components, gear ratio, tire size, expected rpm range, vehicle weight, etc....and then tell you which cam will work best with your engine/vehicle.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pm CHEVY4WD

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why am I PM'ing him? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info gents. I think I like this design path with the ff and all. I'm not sure about the intake yet. I looked at Edelbrock and they make a TBI version for my year blazer, but the application doesn't mention anything about vortec heads.