Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More ?? regarding an 8" lft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Oct 18, 2001.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

More ?? regarding an 8\" lft

I have the chance to get a set of 8" front and rear springs.
    Going to a lift of this size opens up a whole new can o worms.
    The rear I can deal with by mowing off the perches and rotating the axle to get a better angle.
    But the front is another thing .
    I have read that the knuckles can be rotated but that seems kinda drastic.
    Shims in the front sounds like a recipie for disaster.
    Will one of Jesse's front shafts cure the angle problem without resorting to rotating the knuckle?
    I will drop the t-case but that in itself will not cure it.
    I realy don't feel like replacing driveshafts every time I lock in the hubs.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: More ?? regarding an 8\" lft

Shims in the front axle are fine, I have them with my 4" kit.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Shims in the front axle are fine, but they should not be used as a cure for driveshaft angle problems. Instead, they should be used to rotate the axle so that the alignment is within specs. Simply rotating the axle forward (to point the pinion up) will cause the truck to wander all over the road, with poor return-to-center characteristics.

Dropping the t-case is often not the solution either, because as you lower the rear of the t-case you actually make the angle at the top of the front driveshaft worse. Rotating the knuckles is generally done to help the angle at the bottom of the driveshaft while still allowing proper alignment.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Pete
    Thanx for the input it looks like I will be rotating the knuckle.
    My buddy has a full on machine shop at his house so I get to use the air arc to blow the welds off with that.
    Then with the help of a 500,000 BTU propane powered rosebud I should be able to rotate the axle with little trouble.
    I work on semi's and know all about the degree shims on the axle. I have seen rigs come back with the tires worn away to the cords because the guy that did the spring work put the shims in the wrong way. Some rigs have them some don't.
    Some have them both the same way others are offset from each other.
    I am just trying to get all the info I need to do this lift.
    I was thinking about the t-case drop on my way to work(1 hr drive and no radio) and came to the same conclusion that dropping the t-case will aggrivate the front even more.
    Would the 2* offset apply to the front like it does to the rear?
    The front drive shaft would never see hwy speeds but I suppose that wheel spin would play a factor in this as well.
    This is a rig that is being built primaraly for the mud , deep mud.
    An 8" lift and 38's is regarded as small around here.
    Most run a 12"+ lift and 44's but the drivelines look realy scary.
    And I would much rather spend my time behind the wheel and not hip deep in goo swapping out a drive shaft. [​IMG]
    Some might say that this a lot of work for just a D44 but the way I see it is that is only practice for when I find a D60.
    Hmmm good reason to buy a digital camera and record the whole thing and then do a write up. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

"Would the 2* offset apply to the front like it does to the rear?
    "

Uh, what 2° offset would that be?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think Ron is referring to the angles used for CV driveshafts. 2 degrees lower than pointing straight at the t-case.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If thats what you're referring to Ron, then ideally, yes, but in reality, for a part time 4x4 that doesn't see highway travel in 4x, it will be fine as long as you are with in the operating range of the u-joint. If you have a lot of droop in your suspension you may need to install a limiting strap on the front right, but it sounds like the kind of wheeling you do doesn't rely too much on wheel travel. Of course severe operating angles will shorten u-joint life, but thats just part of the game.

Pete