Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Respect For the Small Town Volunteer Fireman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Originally posted this on PBB Monday night..................................

I went into work this morning expecting a light load and upon my arrival to the office, my prayers were answered. Finally got my in-car camera operational and BS'ed with the undersheriff for a bit. But I ended up taking four calls today which is busy for us, especially day shift.

The first call I got dispatched this morning was the one I have been dreading though, which set the tone for the rest of the day. I was on my way to hunt down an officer from another department to give him a subpoena when dispatch called me.

"Injury accident, at ****, train vs. pickup."

This was the first hot call I've gotten that I didn't have the sense of urgency that I usually have when I have to haul ass somewhere. I just hit the lights and siren and proceeded to keep the gas pedal slammed into the floor for 20 miles. Once I hit the highway, I turn my siren off unless I'm passing someone, cause in all honesty, no one is going to hear the damn thing anyway when they are doing 70 and I'm running near 130. This call, the siren stayed on the whole time. Just had that eery calmness cause I just knew what I was going to.

I wasn't the first officer on scene, and the ambulance and firefighters from the community were already on the scene. I walked up to another officer and confirmed what I could already see by the mangled F-350. Then a few minutes later, I helped a couple of the guys remove the man from the cab and place him into the body bag. After a few more minutes, I asked the state trooper if he needed anything else from me and I left. I stopped a half mile down the highway where the train engines had finally stopped to see if the train crew needed anything, knowing that there was really nothing I could.

This was the first fatality I've been to and unfortunately, it's probably not the last. That is the downside of my job and although I don't like it, I accept it.

With that being said, most of the firefighters around here are volunteers. You know the guy down at the tire shop or the hardware store that stays up all night cleaning up the traffic accidents, or making sure the house fire doesn't flare up, then goes in to work all day at the full time job. These guys and gals are part of the community and I imagine it happens a lot more than anyone would like, they are cutting friends and family out of these accidents. I didn't know the man who died today, but looking around at the faces at the scene, one could tell these firefighters knew this guy and some of them were possibly friends.

People tell me they couldn't do my job. I say that my job is easy; being a volunteer firefighter takes more courage and honor than I could ever muster.

You guys are A-1 God Blessed Heros in my book.....................

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree, excellent post!

Thank you firefighters AND police officers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Jobs that deserve more respect than volunteer firefighter are few and far between. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yup, I gotta lot of respect for those guys.

I used to run wreckers for the Sheriff Dept. I showed up on enough accident scenes like that myself.
    I couldn't do what those guys do, my hats off to them and all the Law enforcement guys. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks Bubba. It really means the world to us (firemen, volunteer and paid) to know that we're appreciated. I can't tell you how many nights I've stayed out till three or four in the morning cleaning up a wreck or trying to salvage someone's home, knowing that I have to be at work at 8 o'clock.

It sometimes seems that the "good will" of the public is gone, but there are a few still out there that appreciate what we do.

It's like I've heard time and time again. "You don't think about them until you've needed them."

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im not a firefighter, but i have a bunch of friends who do volunteer at various local stations, and ive gone on a few calls with them. they really are professionals at what they do and i have nothing but good to say about them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Good post, Bubba. All too often these peoples efforts are taken for granted, even though they receive no compensation. Our local fire deparpment is top notch. They are the most dedicated people I know. They take every call very seriously, even if it doesn't sound very bad they drag out all of their equipment just in case, and usually arrive before the police get there.

Thanks to volunteers everywhere! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Good post Bubba. That first fatal can be a bummer, eh? Calls like that are the ones new guys never think about. They always think it's all about putting out fires or arresting bad guys, and then they catch a run like that. I've known a couple a cops and a few firemen who gave it up after a nasty call. We had a double shooting Saturday ight with a 17 year old girl as a victim and I'd be willing to bet that at least one of the three new guys on that job hangs it up.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya no doubt i have the upmost respect for those guys, My uncle was a volunteer Fireman, hes saw some really not to cool stuff. Some of the stories he told me really make me think twice about wanting to become a Fireman.

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I couldn't agree more. Local firefighters are a huge asset. At the scenes I have been on they help everyone from doing traffic control, assisting ambulance, and law enforcement. I have had some assist me with arresting out of control subjects and putting themselves in danger for little or no pay, time away from the family and a guarantee that the next day just got harder at thier real job!! they also stop and help whether on call or not.

they typically pay out of thier own pocket to have radios and lights installed on personal vehicles. Thanks to all of you!!

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think I might be perceived as unappreciative, but I also really do appreciate firefighters, especially volunteers.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i just transferred to out Traffic Investigation Unit. Full time fatality reconstruction. talk about nutty!

13. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Bubba , I think that people can learn from kids .... Like when kids are so honest and cant see anything past a another day !!! Kids are PURE and so is life ... It takes life to change it for us and our kids ...In my book all firemen and policemen are from the gods... I really think that 911 really sent that date home for alot of people !!!I really hope those people FINALLY get the respect that they deserve ..!!!!I have 3 firefighters and 6 police negihbors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifand one cousian in thr police law enforicement system .. Hats off to you all /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ps The DUKE is COOOLLLL !!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif