Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More shock questions! Which to get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've been scouring posts looking for people's recommendations. Seems like people like the Gabriel LT VS whatevers, and also the rancho 9012.

Here's my thing, I got my old shocks at autozone, so they are letting me get "longer " travel ones for free. I acutally managed to blow out one of the LT's (in under a year!)

so my question is, try it again? just get longer ones? im afraid that autozone messed up and gave me standard length bilsteins. ( B46-0923, and b46 0933). I will be getting them today I believe, and I will check the length. They have it on the same computer screen page when you specify long, short, or with a 4" lift.

The other question I have is, I was looking at the gabriels that have the inflation option. was thinking that would be a great way to get a firm shock for towing, and yet get softness for everyday driving. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I understand the 9012s (or any 12 inch travel shock) is good for the rear with a 4" lift.

I just put some Rough Country EZ-ride N9000 with 12 travel on my front after I added some F*rd shock mounts.

With my hybrid 4" lift, I was only getting 1.5" down travel with my Ranchos, and only 2" downtravel with the recommended Rough Country front shocks.

I have about 6" down travel and 6.5" up travel with the F*rd shock towers in the front.

So I guess it depends on what you THINK you will be doing....

Oh yah, my ride is WAYYY better down that the front end isn't limited. Apparently just going around-town bumps and my front end woudl limit out the front shock!

Good luck.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but if your getting only 2" with the ranchos... eep! Heck, if all I do is drive around town, it might be worthwhile to do the ford front end. Do you have a part # for that shock?

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, BTW, autozone part #'s are all screwy. They list all the same shock numbers for lift/non lift. The only one which is accurate is the Gabriel LT's, they acutally have different lengths. My bilsteins were too short!

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Well, keep in mind, I am running a hybrid 4" = shackle and one different leaf. So it REALLY is a 5"+ lift.

Anyways, the Rancho's IIRC were 9004s in the front. I only got about 1 1/2" of downward travel.

The N9004 (EZ RIde Nitro's) I got about 2" downward travel.

I removed the front shock mount rivets, and replaced them with the Ford shock mounts. I measured up my new 13" total travel EZ ride Nitros' (these were made for a 8 - 12" lift).

Now I ahve about 6 1/2" down travel in the shock with about 6" of up travel.