Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more spring ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JACKDUPBLAZER, Feb 10, 2003.

1. JACKDUPBLAZER

JACKDUPBLAZER Registered Member

came across two front springs.they were in the back of a blazer i bought and they guy didnt knowanything about them. they have four leafs and a pretty good arch. is their any way to tell the lift size without installing first.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, do this first...put a straight line from spring-eye center to spring-eye center. Then measure down to the top leaf right at the spring perch pin. Give us the measurement between that point, and the straight line connecting the spring eyes, and we'll go from there. But, it does depend on the spring rate, too - which you won't have a means of easily finding.

3. JACKDUPBLAZER

thanks heavy4x4 .the measurements from eye to eye is 43 1/2" and from that line down is 5 1/2".

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I'd say it's probably a really flexy/soft 4" spring.
    Look here for some idea as to how I figured that. All the numbers in there are for 4" lift springs. The free arch measurement is what you measured. Now, as you can see in the chart, the free arch measurement varies a lot - that's because of the different spring rates. Spring rate is in lbs/inch and how it's found is by seeing how much weight will deflect the spring pack 1 inch. So, if the spring rate of the pack you have is really low (like the T.C Ez-rides) you'll have a flexy 4" lift spring. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JACKDUPBLAZER

thanks again heavy,well i wont be using those. was hoping to save a little cash. this is my first 4x4 so i appreciate the info. cole