Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Spy Photos - Through the bed Fox shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jun 29, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Just a little teaser until its done - kind of a slick way of running the shocks though the bed for blazers without massive cutting or relocating the seat, etc.. Blazinaire is beginning to look real potent!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, you've had enough for now... wait until its finished. Now I just got to get him to go jump it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Are you embarrassed to show any of the pink under my truck in a photo you took? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And to anyone who might be wondering, there is carpet going back down, all the holes will be sealed off airtight, and the hoops will get a good coat of paint before we call this project done /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

I knew that a strut/ crossbar was going to be necessary but it was just going to get in the way when I needed to haul anything or camp out in the back of the truck, so I knew it had to be removeable. Now there was no sense adding even more tubing to it when I already had a perfectly good 5' stick of I-beam laying in the back of my truck.... so Mike welded some bolts to the top of my hoops and voila! instant hilift mount/ shock hoop strut! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am using 14'' travel fox 2.0's with remote reservoirs and 55/80 valving. I use every bit of the vertical travel (I cycle nearly 17'' straight up and down so these are still limiting me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) and it will use even more when articulated, so limiting straps will soon be in order. I am still undecided on the final valving I will be running but this should be a good starting point /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

What about the bumpstop? I just recovered this one with photoshop, was sun glared and too dark at first. You were all too happy pulling that last Rancho shock off for good! I think your idea worked out real well and I might be following your lead on this one.
    [​IMG]

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

so do you have some of the hilift test shots? Got to show off the goods /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif... and who's that goofy guy under the truck? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yep, they came out good. Can't wait ot get an articulated shot with full compression!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That looks really good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I need to do the same thing very badly on my K5, I have almost no up travel in the rear.

Again very nice. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Eric

7. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Looking good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Are you running 57" springs in the back?

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

Re: More Spy Photos - Through the bed Fox shocks *DELETED*

Post deleted by ducttape114

9. ducttape114

HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!! is jay actually cutting his flawless sheetmetal? that is really cool guys!!!! good job!!! in that first pic i thought, that looks a lot like jays truck, wait a minute!!

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, he was a minimalist though, and it looks like we could have cut even less.. speaking of which... I heard you've done some serious cutting! When are you coming down next.. we have a run on the 18-20th

11. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Mike ,
    I WANT IT ALSO. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Mike I just had to put that in hehehe

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

nice work.
    good to see the shocks mounted on the springs where they belong

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It wasn't a hard decision to mount them on the spring plate but available room played a big factor too. Jay and I drew up multiple ideas over the course of many weeks until he found exactly what he was looking for. Due to the 57" articulation capability, thre needed to be ample space on both sides of the shock to keep it from kissing the frame or wheel well and placement was meant to be flush to the seat but straight up and down with the axle. Since he was thinking of adding anti-wrap control in the future, placing the mount there where it would have no effect on resisting wrap up was not a problem. Now if i could just sneak under there and paint all the pink to red. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I like how the hoops mount to the frame. Are you going to add a bar across the two hoops eventually? Also, are the shocks straight up and down, or angled foward slightly?

BTW hows your 4-link coming?

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The bars are adjustable up and down for future suspension adjustments. There was no plan to add a cross bar on this install because of the way the high lift is bolted to the hoops. We did however leave room on the inside of the frame for each hoop to have a 3rd leg for bracing should the highlift method be less than disreable but it looks like thats not going to be an issue, its very rigid! The shocks angle back just a hair from straight up and down so it is aligned well with the movement of the axle for maximum dampening. With the long shock, there was no need to angle forward at all.

No progress on my 4-link now that my sliding V-Bar solved all my issues with the 57's. I'm experimenting with the dampening to finish the setup off and other than fading the standard shocks over heavy use I'm making good headway to what I'd consider a perfect all around setup. My center of gravity and stiff front suspension are my real problems at this point but given the success with the rear end, I'm confident in finding a simple solution.

16. ducttape114

yeah ive been using the sawzal a lot latly. i dont know when shes gonna be ready again, but it wont be by the 18th. i switched to a different fuel tank and got her to run yesterday thou, i pretty exited about that.