Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more starter problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

a couple of days ago my starter went out on me. no big deal it happens I just went down the local parts store and picked up a new one. had a heck of a time getting it lined up. finally got it lined up right and after a few days the housing where it bolts to the block cracked. so I had to get out and adjust it everytime I started it. I had another starter at a friends house so I picked it up and put a starter drive in it and put it on and planned on taking the other one back. put it on started it up just fine. parked it and decided to try the starter one more time. it acted like the battery was almost dead and then popped and just spun real fast. pulled it off and it had split the housing in half. so I put the other one that was cracked a little and it started up fine but I was afraid to start it again cause I know its not gonna work. this is my only mode of transportation so Ive got to figure this out. Ive checked the flywheel and there is nothing wrong with any part of it. can anyone tell me why my starter keeps cracking and wont stay lined up? thanks

2. big dan

any advice? I talked to a couple of people today and they say either my timing is too fast or the teeth are too deep in the flywheel, either of which will cause the motor to kick back on the starter and the soft housing metal cant take the punch. any thoughts on this? guess Ill be trying it when my other starters get here. thanks.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The reasons you listed already,can cause a cracked starter nose..so can not using the angled bracket that bolts to the starter body, and to the engine block--many get left off somewhere down the line (and I've had a few engines without one ,with no issues!)..but it can let the starter wallow around on the two long "Thru bolts" that hold the case and guts together,and cause it to bind up,and crack the snout..having too little clearence between the drive gear and flex plates can bust things up too,as well...(needs a shim or more adedd)..

That bracket is especially important on diesels!!..garunteed cracked starter nose without one eventually..I've seen some sweet running 6.2's go in the scrap pile due to a chunk of engine block being snapped off by the starter bolts-...:doah:

4. big dan

Ive heard of those starter brackets but have never actually seen one on any truck that Ive looked at. I also kinda ruled that one out cause Ive ran the truck without one for 3 years and never had any problems till this week when Ive busted two in the same week. maybe its time to hunt one down. thanks.