Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More starting troubles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XJOSHX, Mar 5, 2003.

1. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I just went outside to start my blazer and see if the exhaust I put on at 2 in the morning had any leaks. I went to turn the key and got absolutely nothing. I had power but it seemed like my motor didn't. I banged on the starter a little bit and wiggled the power cable and still got nothing. Any ideas?

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Just got finished with a similar problem with my car. Do you have lights,wipers etc... nothing else? Mine ended up being the ignition switch.

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

P.S.
    I did the "bang on the starter" thing even put a new battery in it before realizing it was the ignition switch. I'd say if you have wipers etc... you probably have the same issue

4. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

the ignition switch on my column?? And yes I have lites wipers etc etc. I jsut put my new exhaust on and have not heard it yet.

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Yes. You would need to take your steering column covers off then unplug the old ignition switch and any bolts then throw the new one on.

6. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I will give it a try. It works when it wants to.

I realized you are from mass too. I am trying to start some kind of club for wheeling around here. Do you know of any legal places we could set up runs in our state? I got this idea because me and all my friends just decide to hook up and go wheeling. We are 5 trucks strong now every time we go out (usually sundays) and we might be trying to start a club. let me knoiw what you think and if you have any idea's about it shout em out!

7. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Mine worked once or twice too, but then nada.
    There is a group that just started on the web with some folks on here it's on the www.MSN.com then look up "groups". It's called East Coast Off Roaders. Also, if you click on the homepage on my profile you'll see some pics from a get together from some east coast ck5ers. It was fun. I also think some of us are going to try to get to Pennsylvania for Paragon in August. Do some searches on here and pull up some new/old posts and you'll get caught up. Let me know if the ignition was the prob.

8. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

oh yeah, the shifter on the column is really really sloppy too. do you think that has anything to do with it at all?

9. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

if this is really whats wrong with it, is there any way I can start it now?

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Try putting shifter in neutral.It could be the saftey switch if it's auto. Did you have shifter linkage off to do exaust? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Sometimes my truck will do that, but if you hit the shifter up while its already in park it will trigger the safety switch and let the truck start. Or you can put it in neutral like mentioned above.

12. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

My delta88 does that so I tried it already and still nothing happend. It's snowing right now so I cant really go work on it (my garage is full of crap right now) so now I have to wait a few days to get it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I have a stick shift. I tried to push start it and it wouldn't do a dang thing...no probs since the new ignition switch. Doesn't it suck having to deal with truck probs with weather delaying it? I can't wait for spring. Let me know how it turns out.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One more thing to try. While turning the key to the "start" position, cylce the shifter through ALL gears. Sometimes the nuetral safety switch gets hosed. JUST REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKES, otherwise you might go somewhere you don't want to (especially if it's in a garage or anythings near it).

15. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I tried that too when I went out there today. I am going to take apart the column and all the starter cables as soon as the weather getts better and see if I can find a problem anywhere. any other suggestions?

16. OAKES

OAKES Registered Member

I WAS JUST LOOKING OVER YOUR ENDEVERS AND WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE CHECKED OUT YOUR STARTER YET. YOU COULD HAVE KNOCKED SOMETHING LOOSE INSIDE. IF THE STARTER HADNT'T BEEN LOOKED AT LATELY IT WOULD BE EASYER THAN TEARING THE DASH APART. GOOD LUCK, I'LL CHECK BACK IN LATER TO SEE IF YOU GOT IT.

17. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i got an idea for yeah. a couple of years ago i went out to start my rig and i got nothing. it turned out that the power cable to the starter from the batt was oxidized bad enough to keep it from starting. after replaceing the cable (days later because i cut my finger with a razor blade trying to strip the wire, what a moron /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) it worked great..

so first off get out your mutimeter and work your way back through the electrical system testing to see where you do/don't have voltage.

come spring time it looks like we'll have quite a few new england k5's ready to go out and play, welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

as of right now I have been out playing in ym samurai. I can't wait to get the K5 going. I need to get a drive shaft for the front and a leaf spring for the rear and the starting problem out of the way before I go anywhere though. It will all be done soon enough. Are you getting as much snow as I am down here? we have about 7 or 8 inches already.