Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Steering Brace ?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Derf00, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 Jimmy. I would like to add a steering brace asap; however, I have transmission and oil cooler lines in the way. What are your suggestions?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I spoke with Stephen about this earlier in the week (I have a 90 as well) and it should be fine, just have to jocky the lines out of the way a little.

PS - I will be doing a product review on the steering brace.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

3. I installed a brace on my 90K5 with the external oil cooler that is mounted in front of the radiator. You do have to move the metal brake lines slightly, maybe less than a quarter to half of an inch. The rubber oil lines have enough play in them to move them down about an inch or so. However, the rubber lines do hit the brace and would eventially rub through. You can compensate for this by cutting one side a 4-6 inch piece of heater hose and zip tieing it on to the brace.

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I recently installed the brace on my '89. I used a 1"x2"x15" wood stick and hammer to gently nudge the hardlines on the frame out of the way. They don't need to be moved very far. The 2 flexlines can be manually pushed out of the way and one of them rests on the brace after it's installed. I added a 3" piece of heater hose and slit it lengthwise. I put this over the flexline where it contacts the brace to protect the flexline from vibration chafing. I used zip ties to hold it in place.
    I installed the small brace first. Once it was in and tight, I removed the other two steering box bolts. That way the steering box stayed lined up with the bolt holes. When I drilled out the hole in the center of the crossmember, I used a 3/8" bit first, then used a 1/2" bit to get the final size. Use sharp bits and the drilling takes only a few seconds to complete. Good Luck.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Opps...sorry Steven. I forgot I was in the Offroad Design section. I didn't mean to step on your turf.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Don't worry about replying for me here, that's just fine. In fact, it saves me some work! It sounds like you guys have it figured for getting the brace to work with the factory oil cooler, thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD