Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Stupid Smog Issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Jun 29, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

It looks that I might be looking at a move to the Great White North, sometime in the next year or so. I'm looking at Southern Ontario, in the Toronto area. Right now, my rig has *no* emissions equipment on it, whatsoever. (No smog around here, and the previous owner didn't like EFI)
    If I take the beast with me up there, I don't want to have to pay to have it stored, so I need to look into how to pass the smog testing, so I can have it licensed. What would be the easist way to do this? It still has most of the original wiring harness in it, so a stock TBI is a possiblilty, but I assume that I would have to install dual catalytic converters on the exhaust, and probably get new headers that have a O2 sensor bung. Am I right on this? Is it possible to pass smog with with an Edelbrock performer carb?
    Another option that I can think of would be to get an aftermarket EFI setup, new headers, and catalytic converters.
    What is your opinion on this? I don't have a lot of money, and it pains me to think of selling the truck, or even having to put it in storage.
    Any ideas?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll just have to find out the laws and inspection process in that area.

Anywhere in the US, dual cats on your truck are illegal, unless the drivetrain came from something that had it.

Carb is illegal everywhere here as well.

BUT, with that said, every location differs somewhat. If no visual inspection, you can get just about anything to pass. With a visual, you almost certainly would fail.

Just need to find out what they are going to look at.

You wouldn't NEED headers with the O2 bung, but it would make your life easier...you need O2 sensor one way or the other...but if visual, you'd probably need AIR as well.

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

According the the information for that area, all they do is test the output at the exhaust and compare it to the output of a stock truck of that year. There really wasn't much information on what they look at, exactly, but nothing was mentioned about motor modifications.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If thats the case, its all good, unless theres a visual, then your screwed.