Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more swap questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcmlxix, Nov 28, 2001.

1. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

My last post was about getting the the truck running. I had the SM465 rebuilt and the Xfer case resealed. I was able to drive it once before the motor died. just my usual luck. I decided that I should have changed over to automatic instead of spending money on rebuilding the 4 spd. I usually do things ass backwords. My question is.. can I swap a 700r4 and newer NP208 Xfer case out of an 82 or newer blazer/burb/ect? I was told that the drive shafts would have to be cut but what else is involved? Has any one done this before? what is a rebuilt SM465 and Xfer case worth?

2. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I wont guarantee this but I think the transfer case mounting brackets wont interchange you will probably have to make new brackets and not sure on the linkage for the shifter either.
    I went from the 4 speed to a turbo 350 man what a mistake.
    I do enjoy not haveing to push in the clutch but the off road side of it SUCKS!!!!!! Nothing beats sticking it in compound low and low and takeing your foot off the gas and just creepying over the rocks. Oh well diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.
    You will enjoy either way.

Blazin 72
    1972 K5 350 vortec, 4 inch lift, with nothing else important.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You can probably do a 700R4 swap with your existing NP205 using parts from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.advanceadapters.com>Advance Adapters</a>.

Or... If you just don't like how the SM465 shifts (I hated mine), you could swap in a New Venture 4500 5-speed. The clutch I'm using (Centerforce II) has softer pedal pressure than the stock one too...

4. frito

frito Registered Member

also if you do put in a 700R4 and you cant get the stock shifter to work you can buy an aftermarket ratchet shifter, it will make the auto mroe fun off road and easyer to downshift/upshift
    i put a B&amp;M megashifter in mine and it also alowed me to use a pair of hooker comp. 2nd gen camaro headers on my blazer i had laying around (the linkage was the onlything in the way from them fitting)
    it makes it alot easier to install if you take off the inspection cover for your trans and its perfect height when mounted there

5. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

i have an extra column with shifter lever but i figured an aftermarket floor shifter would be better. My concern is if i get a doner truck that has the 700r4/np208, what will fit and what won't. Will the cross member bolt up? Will I have to alter the floor? Can I use stock drive shafts or do I have to have some cut special? I want to know what am I going to run into before I start bolting things together. Has any one swapped the newer drive train before? I would love to pick some ones brain if they have done this before...

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you will have to modify the drive shafts....i just converted mine from a auto to a manual and had to lengthen the rear shaft by 6"...so you will more than likely have to shorten you rear shaft...the cross member should be no big deal...might have to drill some new holes in the frame to mount it up but that only takes a few mins to do..

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>