Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more tire questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Feb 16, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've pretty much decided that with my 10 bolt i should stick with a tire in this size range. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these sizes? either way i go they will be mounted on 10" wheels.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I would think the wider tires would cause more damage than the taller one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif More traction

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i wouldnt go any bigger than 35s...

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think the wider tires would cause more damage than the taller one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif More traction

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but taller tire = more leverage on parts. Hard to say. I'd say that the 15.50 might do more damage, but only due to weight.

I don't think too many people have issues with 35 or 36" tires breaking 10 bolt fronts but I could be wrong.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

According to Pontiac, wider is better. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'd go with the wide tires. If I could afford 33x15.50x15 TSL SXs I'd buy them.

It'd be really nice to be able to "float" on stuff without having to air down with 12.50 tires. I'm willing to bet the two tires have about the same amount of abuse inflicted on an axle. The weight on the 36 is further out but the weight on the 35 is greater. The 36 will put more stress on the shafts when climbing stuff though.

I'm pretty sure it's the inertia that tends to kill an axle.

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I ran 36's on 15x10's for a while with my 10 bolt front and had no breakage problems at all. I don't think there is much of a width gain in the tread itself between the 15.5's and the 12.5's it's listed as only 2 inches. I prefer having more ground clearance while still having a wide tire which is why I went with the 36's. Here's a link to the spec's of the TSL's from Interco's website Spec. page /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

rotational mass will be the calculating factor- what you save in that .5" outer radius will probably be about the same as adding the weight of the extra rubber for the 15" wide tire. If your running alloy's , you should be fine with either.

In terms of float.. 2 or so inches more. WEll, could make the difference of getting out or getting stuck-. Gaining .5" in clearance isnt that big of a deal.