Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Tuned Port?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

More Tuned Port?\'s

My other post is getting kinda long and cluttered so I am going to start a new one.

Here are some other questions I haven't got answered or have thought of.

Anybody have the Z-28 TV cable part number I am going to need or an application?

Where can I get a cheap Oxygen sensor bung? the MSD one is $20. Is it a standardised thread so I can just use a nut?

What Lokar throttle cable do I need? the 36" TPI cable?

The fuel return line is only 5 psi pressure right?

Do I need a fuel pressure regulator?

Anyone recommend an external pump? I saw an MSD pump for a good price. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=120563&prmenbr=361

Anyone have pics of the drilling I need to do on the 4 manifold bolts so the manifold fits pre 87 heads?

Can I mount the computer inside a waterproof container, or does it need airflow to keep cool? Thanks everyone

Harley

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: More Tuned Port?\'s

[ QUOTE ]
    Do I need a fuel pressure regulator?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the diaphram thingy bolted to the fuel rails. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Where can I get a cheap Oxygen sensor bung? the MSD one is $20. Is it a standardised thread so I can just use a nut?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you can go to a hardware store and find the right nut, and cut it in half if you like. Local speed shop told me $10 for the right bung. I would think it's NPT, but if there is a nut that fits it, guess not.

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I mount the computer inside a waterproof container, or does it need airflow to keep cool?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mount it in a waterproof container. I'm not sure that the heat is a real big deal, but it can't help matters. If you look up under your dash behind the glove box, you'll see where the ECM bolts in. (angled brackets welded underneath the "top" of the metal dash piece) A 1987-1991 TBI R/V truck will have the plastic mount you need.

3. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Got my TV cable today and lokar cable too.
    TV cable #10163879 GM
    I bought the 36" lokar and checked it out today its kinda long but can be cut witch would make for better fit.
    Fuel regulator is on fuel rail an adjustable one is up to you if you buy one dont get the BBK one cause it sucks,I had to grind the plenum just to get it to fit.
    Search at thirdgen.com i think you can make your own.
    Later,Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

An A/C Delco external fuel pump-GM's part # 25117086,Napa's part # NFPP74028.It's a H.O. 60psi pump.

My local Muffler guy welded an O2 bung on for me for $15.00.
    $5.00 for the bung,$10.00 for him welding it in.

If your useing a GM harness or even an after market one there should be plenty of wire to mount that in cab.
    The only ECM that's waterproof is the Corvette one.It was mounted in the eng. bay.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The only ECM that's waterproof is the Corvette one.It was mounted in the eng. bay.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine is from an '87 Corvette and was mounted under the dash. I think that all of the OBDII models (starting around '95 or '96, (even non-Corvette's)) have the ECM mounted in the engine bay.

6. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Apparently you can go to a hardware store and find the right nut, and cut it in half if you like. Local speed shop told me $10 for the right bung. I would think it's NPT, but if there is a nut that fits it, guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. That's how I did mine. Cost me like 34 cents for the correct nut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif O2 sensors have the same thread as standard (non-peanut) spark plugs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Napa's website says that the NFPP74028 pump is rated from 4-6 psi. Not 60 psi.

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">1) I got my O2 bung from Painless, it was 10 bucks. Take a Ford spark plug to the hardware store and find a nut that threads onto the plug, and you've found your new sensor bung

2) I used a stock 91 Camaro throttle cable, its a little long on the engine bay side, but it's been there for a year and a half with no problems.

3) yes, return pressure is 5 psi. My return line is 5/16" rubber fuel hose. Again, did the swap a year and a half ago and I havent touched it since

4) the regulator is part of the fuel rail

5) I heard 87-90 something Bronco/F150 frame pumps will work with TPI, mine is a factory 91 Camaro pump in a 31 gallon tank from an 87 K5

6) Look on my webshots album, I have a couple pics of how I adressed the manifold bolt issue. I used beveled washers from Mcmaster Carr. Be careful torquing these bolts, I only went to 30 ft/lbs and I crushed 2 washers.

7) Yes you can mount the ECM in a waterproof box, but behind the glove box is fine. Mine is on the back of the firewall where the glove box used to be, and my truck has been topless and doorless all summer (stored outside and towed in the pooring rain ect) , just make sure its high and up out of the way. Are you using speed density or mass air? If you're using speed density, a Y-body (corvette) ECM is the same as the F body ECM only water-resistant.

9. Hossbaby50

I was wondering just how many PSI TPI needs. The MSD pump say it puts out 43PSI. Is this enough? It is advertised as a good pump for EFI applications up to 500hp.

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

I heard TPI like about 40psi and up with stock injectors(19-22 lb injectors).
    I average 44-45 psi with my external pump.

Sorry for the inaccurate Napa part number.I never checked it when I got the part number.

My bad about the ECM as well.I thought all Corvette "730" ECM's were water proof. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. HarryH3

Factory pressure for TPI is 37 PSI at idle and 42 PSI at full throttle. The pressure regulator has a vacuum reference so that it drops the pressure slightly at idle (high vacuum). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. Hossbaby50

I just reread MSD's site and they said that there pump puts out 40PSI and 43GPH. I am guessing that I need a pump with more PSI correct? I also thought of a few other questions:

Is there any good articles on the TPI swap online that has instructions and pictures? Is there a good manual in print that you would recommend?

What is the single wire that runs across the top of the lower manifold to what I believe is the EGR valve? Is this the MAF wire that people worry about damaging? Where can I get a new one? I damaged mine /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. (part number?)

What color RTV should I use to seal my manifold ends? The Fel-Pro gasket kit says black, but my manifold had red RTV on it. Where all do I need to use RTV? I know I do on the front and rear ends of the manifold, but where else? Thanks

Harley

13. HarryH3

40 PSI is gonna be low. I'd keep looking...

www.jagsthatrun.com sells a TPI swap book. I did my swap in '89, long before such books were available, so I just used the factory service manuals and wiring diagrams to figure it out.

The MAF wire is inside the MAF itself. It is a VERY fine filament wire in the center of the MAF. It's about the diameter of a hair. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I can't think of what wire you messed up, as the EGR should have a vacuum hose going to it, from the EGR solenoid.

Black RTV is the right stuff to use on the manifold ends.

14. Hossbaby50

FYI, I went to the hardware store today and found a nut that works for the Oxygen sensor.

3/4" 16tpi. Seems to be a little big, but it should work pretty well. The first one I found was a Hex Jam nut that was SS, but I found it in standard grade 5 also. It is a thin nut that shouldn't have to be cut. Best part is it was $.65. Not the $10-20 that everyone else wanted for the sensor bung. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Hossbaby50

More Questions:

How many gallon per hour pump do I need? I found an in-line pump for a 1990 Camaro that is 50 psi 16 GPH. Is 16 gallons per hour enough?

Should my fuel filter go before or after my pump? I was thinking before.

If I put the filter before the pump it wouldn't have to be a high PSI filter correct since the fuel hasn't been pressurized yet right? Thanks

Harley

16. HarryH3

I'm not sure what the GPH is supposed to be. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

EFI requires TWO fuel filters. You still need the sock filter in the tank to keep the big junk out of the pump. Your current setup should already have this filter. Then you need a stock GM EFI filter after the pump. That one ttakes care of really small stuff that could clog the injector screens. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Snag the filter, lines, and mounting bracket from a junkyard. The factory flex line at the filter will make it easier to change filters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In-line pump for a Camaro must be for one of the 6 cylinder motors...all the TPI V8 stuff was in-tank.

Not sure of GPH requirements, but even the largest fuel pumps are "only" like 100GPH. Not sure that Delco even lists that as a pump spec. I've never seen the catalog, but I've never heard it mentioned before either.

18. Hossbaby50

What I was going to do was run a filter from a Ford ( /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif gasp) F350 w/460 v8 (should flow enough fuel and is common) inline after the fuel pump, but I was worried about junk getting into the pump so I was thinking about running it before the pump.

Should I run a filter inline before and after the pump? Just to be safe? Run a high PSI filter after and a low PSI filter prior to make sure the crap stays out of the motor and the pump? It would only cost a few dollars more for the extra protection.

19. HarryH3

I just replaced the filter sock inside the tank when I did mine. Just to make sure I had a good one in there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It has nearly zero restriction, so it lets the fuel flow very well.