Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more tv cable questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 19, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

lets suppose for a minute that a tv cable were cut, say maybe shortened by just shy of 3/4" - would this keep the tranny from shifting out of first and make the throttle almost entirely unresponsive? seems to me like it would - just a suspision. :wink1: if that is the case, would a tv cable from a th350 swap into a 700r4 w/ no problems? thanks.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes and no.

yes you won't shift out of first, yes the throttle travel would be shortened.
    no the th350 cable will not fit, the th350 does not use a TV cable, its a kickdown cable. BIG difference.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's all at www.tvmadeez.com . If you shorten the outer the same mount you should be ok. The amount of travel is quite critical so they need to be mounted just like GM intended. Have a read of the 3 part article at the link above. It tells you everything you ever wanted to know about tv cable operation.
    And as Big83 said, you can't use a th350 cable....totally different ball game.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Russian Roulette

5. colbystephens

ok. so what's the difference between a kickdown cable and a tv cable?

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The answer is really the differences between the Hydramatics and the later trannies, a general statement but the later ones do not use vacuum signal, its all mechanical and/or electrical. Beyond that I'll let the more tech guys weigh-in.:D

7. colbystephens

ok - that makes some sense, i guess. i'll still need more info tho to fully understand. i haven't read that whole article yet, as i'm pressed for time at the moment. anyway, i looked up the cost of a tv cable on line and it was about $20. strangely, they said it would fit 99% of 700r4s b/c these are longer than the stock ones. that strikes me funny - if it has to be the perfect length, why would they sell you one that's too long? how would you know how much to cut down?

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Don't know about cutting to fit(?) but at the manifold end is where adjustment of the free length beyond the sleeve, is made. Those cable kits try to be as universal as poss. so it may be the same set-up as a kickdown for a TH, with barrel and screw stop.

9. colbystephens

does a kickdown look different from a tv cable? the reason i ask is b/c this truck originally had a 700r4 in it, someone swapped in a th350, and now we put in a 700r4. the cable that came off of the 350 looked exactly like the tv cable on the 700. i wonder if whoever did the swap, just used the tv cable from the original 700 on the 350. the 350 wouldn't shift up to third, 1 and 2 were fine, but not 3. the cable on the 350 looks like it may have been cut at some point or other. so, could this have been the original problem?

10. big83chevy4x4

the eaiest way to tell the difference between a kickdown cable and a TV cable, is the kick down is slotted where it mounts to the carb, a tv has a plactic peice that mounts on a stud.

if oyu use a TV cable on a th350, the TV cable is gonna pull on the kickdown valve in the tranny when ever you step on the gas. thats why the kickdown cable is slotted, it only pulls on it at about 3/4 throttle.

the universal TV cable is longer, the housing and the cable. southernspeed is right, if you shorten the housing the same amount as the cable, it should work correctly. you can not shorten/lengthen one without doing the same to the other.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

No 2-3 shift on the TH350 sounds like internal and not cable. I'm sure there are experts as well as gmtech954. he may know or where to go.

12. big83chevy4x4

this is what i did for 3 years, i may not be an "expert", but i know what im talking about.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

No offense meant, didn't know. I'm a swap from 700 to 350; wouldn't the symptoms he's talking about, no 2-3 shift, indicate an internal problem as opposed to kickdown?

14. big83chevy4x4

usually, but if he used a 700r4 TV cable on it, then its pulling it all the time and is in "kickdown" mode all the time, ie no 3rd.

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Because that cable doesn't have the slot, I see.:D

16. colbystephens

don't know how much of a difference this makes in the tech suggestions you're giving me, but the motor is not carb'd - it's a diesel, thus fuel injection.

17. colbystephens

what's up nate.

18. big83chevy4x4

the deisel should be any different than a carb or TBI gas motor as far as the TV/kickdown cable is conserned.

19. colbystephens

ok. so, just to verify what i think you were saying in a previous post - if a tv cable were used on the 350, it would have worked fine (shifted hard tho) except it wouldnt have 3rd gear? i'm pretty sure it was a tv on the 350, as it was a plastic end piece on a peg.

20. big83chevy4x4

yep