Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More vibration information....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, May 3, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A few days ago, I found the source of a drivetrain knock that's been plaguing me for a while(Thanks Eagle86!) Anyway, the knock was caused by a loose tranny bracket. It's all tightened up and everything checks out, but I'm now experiencing a vibration between 75km/hr and 85km/hr. I took it to my shop and put her up on the hoist and checked everthing over with a fine toothcomb. EVERYTHING looks and feels solid, but something is definitely vibrating somewhere. I'm going to get my tires balanced and rotated just in case, but I have a feeling that it's somewhere in between the tranny and the rear diff. If anybody has a suggestion of where to look I'd love to hear it.

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Look at your u-joints real close, make sure the spacing is the same on both sides and the clips are there....

My little vibration caused a yoke to break and parts of it to come into the cab and visit while doing 65 on the hiway in January. Cheap u-joints not set in there exact caused it all. I went and got spicer u-joints and mic'd them And no more problem....good luck my friend...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

A few days ago I posted about the fix to my vibration problem. My Blazer is not even lifted and has the stock 31" tires. The problem was in the crossmember that holds the transfer case. It is held by four bolts with nuts and they were very loose. I finally realized of this when the two nuts from one side completely fell and I don't know how many hundreds of pounds were hanging from a single side and two bolts of the cross-member.

Replaced the bolts and the nuts and tightened everything back up. Vibration problem solved. The nuts I used were those that have some kind of plastic in the thread so they don't come off ever.

Hope this helps.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Eagle86...........can you explain in more detail the yoke problem? I don't quite understand which yoke or how it got stressed enough to break.

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well when I first bought the Ole Gal, I found a bad ujoint on the front short shaft at the diff, so I changed the whole front set. Then a week later I went and changed the rear shaft. The guys had to heat the rear u-joints out due to the plastic insert. I never did like using heat on parts that have to take stress, anyway...initially I did not seen to notice the minor vibration, I thought it was just the 4x4
    way of doing things. Well I thought it was in the yoke that goes into the rear of the transfer case, so I removed it and pulled the u-joint, greased it good and put it back. When I was on my way to Clevland for the New Year Party it let loose, but what actually broke was the ear off the yoke.
    The piece that surrounds the u-joint cap broke letting the u-joint come free and up into the cab to say hi! Kinda like a frag grenade in a tank. Every Mechanic I talked to and saw the yoke said it must have been the heat applied to remove the old ujoint. Hard part was finding a new /used yoke, not a yard in miles had one, and GM wanted 169.00 for one. I got one at a 4 wheel place and I had to argue that it was too big they had the wrong one, turns out it was the right one a beefy replacement for 40.00 and 2 new spicer joints, gosh what a difference, no vibration ride like a caddy...well almost...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]