Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More wheeling and dealing... 1991 4x4 Crew Cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A guy I know came by and told me he has a 1991 Crew Cab 1-ton 4x4 w/4" lift, 4spd/205, and supposedly a locker in the rear. No rust, decent body, just the guy before him pulled the 454 out. Had a small engine fire but didn't damage much. Has the Dana 60 front still, and it's a single wheel truck.

He's interested in my recently purchased '78 GMC with Fisher plow that I had put up for sale for $2000 and a 454 I had up for sale for $900.

I'm into the plow truck and plow $1850 and into the 454 $350. I wonder if the '91 Crew Cab would be worth doing some trading for. I guess I'd have to go look at it in person.

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yeah, thats a cheap 60 with 14bff 205 and 465 with a free truck..

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

got me excited that it had a 4l80e, but you say 4 speed. Either way, sounds like not too bad of a deal, if you have a motor to put in it....which im sure you do.

Maybe that cummins we never heard the end of?

4. mountainexplorer

The Cummins got sold to KennyW, who ended up selling it to someone else.

I need to go look at the '91. At least it will be a 32-spline SM465 with the round pattern 205 and hydraulic clutch setup. I'd probably put a 454 in it and drive it for a while.

5. dhcomp

looking at your list in your sig, will that be the newest truck you own?

6. mountainexplorer

I've never had a truck as new as a '91. The '87 was my newest and right now it's in pieces and I'm converting it to a carb and doing away with everything that made it an '87 except for the body itself.

It would probably be most logical of me to build the '91 to replace my '81 (or as we call it "the Little Crew Cab"). But my '81 is a part of me, and though it's older and rougher, it can't be replaced. I'd probably drive the '91 for a while then eventually re-sell it down the line.

7. dhcomp

Thats funny that you say the 81 is "part of you", cause while deciding what to do with my first truck right now, i figured you probably didnt' have much attachement to any of your trucks, as you seem to be buying and selling them all the time, and driving different ones.

So i guess i was wrong. That just the one you've had the longest and traveled in the most? Just curious.

8. mountainexplorer

I am attached to the trucks that make my The Fleet. The temporary rigs, or the Sub-Fleet are the rigs I buy and fix and drive and eventually re-sell. They fill in for the rigs of the original main Fleet when they are down (which is most of them right now).

The truck in the Fleet owned the longest is the '68 Chevy. It was purchased one year before I was born, by my mom and dad in 1980. It was a truck that my dad noted in writing "We are purchasing this truck only to get by for now" as they bought it in Yuma, Arizona after a Ford Econoline Van left them stranded on their roundabout trip from New York back home to Spokane, Wa. It completed the trip despite being the most beat up truck at the only affordable car lot they could find.

When I was a kid, we also made a few trips in it, once to California and back, and several across Washington State.
    My uncle, my mom, and my Dad, at the back of the '68 before I was born. Yes, my dad was alot older than my mom.
    [​IMG]
    The '68 when I was a baby, at our current house.
    [​IMG]
    As a kid, the back of the truck was often a playhouse.
    [​IMG]

In 1994 we upgraded to a 4x4... bought an '81 K20 to retire the '68. The '81 had a bad motor, so we got rid of it, and bought a 1980 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. The GMC was then the "main truck" and we still kept the '68. I also did an experimental K-Mart rattlecan paint job on it when I was 14 years old, cause I liked blue and white better than the dark brown it was.

After my dad died in '96, we kept the GMC and it was the 1st truck I started working on and modifying... I put a 454 in it, then started lifting it. It became my tow vehicle, and despite also at this time having my red '78 and the Suburban and the Internationals, it was still the main truck.

Here it is at some of it's points along the line with my rattlecan paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the main comparison of the day we got it, and the day I finished a bunch of major modifications (Right now it's all apart again undergoing another rebuild).
    [​IMG]

It stayed my main truck and on 33" tires, until the '81 Crew Cab came around... 454, 4spd, 205, and my first Dana 60! I was excited. And also somewhat sad, cause it was like the GMC was being pushed off to the side as the Crew Cab took over tow duty, and started getting lifted too. So the GMC then became a big truck on 39.5" Boggers. The Crew Cab has stayed no larger than a 6" lift and 35's, and me and the Crew Cab have logged many tow hours, trip hours and rescue hours together. The '68 and the GMC are the most special trucks to me, but as the main workhorse, the Little Crew Cab has been the main "flagship of the Fleet" if you will.
    [​IMG]

9. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

good story.

sounds like that 91 crew cab is worth picking up.

10. dhcomp

THanks for the quick story! Its fun to hear other people's truck stories....and with more truck than anyone else, im sure you have more good stories than anyone else!

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

"I'd probably drive the '91 for a while then eventually re-sell it down the lin"

hmm if you hang on to it long enough, I know where the end of that line could be ;)

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know Allan, you may have to haggle him down a bit. I only paid $2000 for my CC, with 465/205, D60/14bff, and it still had a 454 with 35K on a rebuild. Was already lifted too. I think you could do better, see if you can get him to throw something else into the deal.

13. mountainexplorer

I know it's not the deal of the century. But I'm thinking about trading.

It's a GMC Crew Cab, 4" suspension lift, rust free, but has a few minor body issues, but overall the body panels are pretty clean and in decent shape. Just a plane jane model, tan with brown interior.

It has 3.73 gears, Dana 60 front, 14-bolt rear with the ribbed housing. Motor is gone. It has the 32-spline 465/205. The bellhousing is toast. As it, the little fire it had seemed to be concentrated on or within the bellhousing. It's broken and the disc and pressure plate are still on the front input shaft of the tranny. I wouldn't trust the tranny, but 465's aren't exactly hard to replace.

I'd pull the 32-spline stuff out and swap in my good 10-spline setup from my '81, and use the 32-spline 205 for my NV4500 conversion in the '81. OR come up with like a TH400/NP208 to put into it and convert it to an automatic.

I'd put a carburated 454 or 350 in it, and re-wire it with the wiring harness out of an '85 parts Suburban I have. The wiring isn't too badly damaged from the fire in the crew cab. But I wouldn't try and save the TBI harness.

He's into the Crew Cab as it sits $2000. I told him I wanted $2000 for my plow truck, of which I paid $1849 for, the last 30 cents of which was in pennies. I mean, the plow truck is a runner, but is a rustbucket '78 GMC, with a well-used 350 motor. Plow works good, but it's just a generic Fisher snowplow. I know in the long run I'll have more work put into the Crew Cab, but also be able to sell it for $3000-$4000 if I make it nice. Most I'll get out of the plow truck is maybe $2200 if I get it running better.

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well for a straight trade, it would be a pretty good deal. I thought you were trading him the plow truck AND a 454. Even at that, it wouldn't be a horrible deal, just not a typical Allan deal. But if you want it, go for it. It's not like you'd be losing anything on the deal, so it's all good.

15. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't forget to factor in the plow truck will make you money.:D

16. mountainexplorer

It's true, plows do pay for themselves. But with the pathetic winters we've had in Spokane lately, it's been pretty sad for the snowplowing business.

Also, I have to take into account I have a fully functional Hiniker 7ft snowplow that is easy to and ready to bolt on to any '73-'87 Chevy when I need to, and also an older Meyers blade with 2-way hydraulic pump laying around.

This is how many rigs my Hiniker plow has been on the past few seasons. It has already paid for itself. (pictures attached) I don't actually need a 3rd plow if I really think about it.

1978Plow.jpg

UtilityPlow.jpg

FlatbedPlow.jpg

84Plow.jpg

DieselPlow1.JPG

17. mountainexplorer

Oh, and this is the '78 GMC and Fisher plow. I didn't get a pic of the '91 Crew Cab cause I left my memory card at home when I went to look at it. :doah:
    [​IMG]

18. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Allen you need to hook me up with one of those plows we always get some sort of snow fall

19. mountainexplorer

What do snowplows go for in your area?

20. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

$800 or so depends on the plow and if it comes complete