Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More win 98 questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thunder, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have some bad driver files on my win 98 computer. To repair them I need to reinstall windows. Problem is I converted to FAT32 a long time ago and cant uninstall Windows.
    Can I just use my windows 98 disk and overwrite everything or do I need to reformat the HD to reinstall win 98.
    Trying to figgure the best way to go about this. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Pm's seem to be working now so you've got a pm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would save all important files on a disk,Then format the hard drive and re-install the windows program.I do my system at least once a year.You will be surprised how much faster it will run. Gets rid of all the junk on the hard drive........

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well I tried overwriting windows. Couldn't do it. Got to the part where its susposted to copy/install files and drivers and everything freezes up. Which is what happens whenever I load anything new with driver files. They just wont install.
    Guess i'll try refomatting the Hd and start fresh. See if that works. Already have all files/programs saved on disk. So I'm good to go
    Maby something is telling me to get a new HD This ones pretty old.
    Anyone know how big a HD a old 266 P2, 128MB ram, win 98 comp will handle.
    All I am trying to do is get an ethernet card in so I can hook it up to DSL. Just using it for a second computer for my kids to surf the net mainly.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Win98 only takes up about 500mb's IIRC

All you have to do is double click on your My Computer and it will tell you how big your HD is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

When you install Windows 98 on a machine that already has a version of Windows on it, the setup routine reads the old registry and imports all the settings ..... including the ones that are messed up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

When you run ssetup.exe you will need to use a switch that tells it to ignore old registry settings. I think it is /ir. That means you will type setup.exe /ir

if you want to see a bunch of other switches you can use just type setup /? and you will get a nice list.

If you don't want to save anything on your computer, just re-format and install from there. Remember, if you re-format you will lose all your old stuff.

Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif