Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

morel hunters, i need help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Apr 21, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i cannot for the life of me get enough luck going for me to find any morels, they are popping like mad the gruond is wet and warm big time and the sun is popping in and out like mad its perfect out for them and i know several ppl who have found tens of pounds of them n last coupel days and i cannot find a damn single one

so those of you who hunt for them and find them, where in the fudge do you look for them at, what do you look for ???
    i keep hearing about ppl finding them in tall grassy areas like outside edges of cemetaries and parks, but i look and look and look some more and cant fvind jack

how do you find them and what parts of the day even ?

and also what side of hills do you look, i have been told a few times that they like to grow on one side of hills facing a certain direction ? for real ?

i want ot find some and i search like mad and it frickin pisses me off that i never find any and a billion other ppl find tons of them all around me

thanks

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What the h*%& are you talking about?????
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

are those like snipes??? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I second that what the hell is a morel.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Mushrooms.

[​IMG]

...and quite tasty ones at that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Check HERE.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Look in the woods in cool, shady places. That is where I always found them. Never tried them though.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i cannot beleive some of you dont know what a morel is hahaha, thats just hilarious
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

wtf is a snipe ?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Look in the woods in cool, shady places. That is where I always found them. Never tried them though.

[/ QUOTE ]

so contrary to what ppl say they really actually dont pop with the sunlight ?

humm.. !

now that i think of it i did find one once completely buried under clold wet leaves along foundation of a house that had no gutters, hmm,,... !!

maybe sunight has nothing to do with it at all!@ damn

they are %#$#@! good! no, actually yummy!!
    dip them in egg and crushed crackers mix and fry them(preferably in a fry daddy or similar), and they are just the bomb !!!!! i could eat every single one i could ever find, if i could freakin find them, dammit

they are as big or bigger than demolition derby season is, they are the two biggest events around in these here redneck/podunk buck teeth farming community parts along here

also you can sell them by the pound for a good shunk of change if you can find enough of them, thats how yummy and popular these things are, and they only grow for a couple weeks each year, so you have to hurry and be pretty lucky

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

look on some cow poop... o wait thats a different mushroom oops sorry /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    look on some cow poop... o wait thats a different mushroom oops sorry /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You've never been snipe hunting? I'll take you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Loads of fun. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And yes morels are great! I'm wondering if I can find any up here?

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah those are totally the wronnnnnnnnnnnnng mushrooms man, dang, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off track there buddy i dont think you could get any more off track than that lol

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You've never been snipe hunting? I'll take you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Loads of fun. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what are snipes though ? i used ot know and now ive forgotten and have no clue now

hmm.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i just read this: "Typically they are found in moist areas, around dying or dead Elm trees, Sycamore and Ash trees, old apple orchards and maybe even in your own back yard."

anyone got pics of ash and sycamore trees ? i am not a tree person i have no clue what either tree looks like but elms have elms in my yard out here i know what they look like for damn sure lol, and chinese elm too, they all have a disease dying problem, thats how all elms are, they are really crappy trees.

thanks

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Don't feel bad, I know plenty of people with no morals... *cough*inlaws*cough*

Reading your first post with no idea what you were talking about was pretty funny!

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what are snipes though ? i used ot know and now ive forgotten and have no clue now

hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

A snipe is technically a small bird that as far as I know no one actually hunts, a "snipe hunt" in the traditional sense is a juvenile (but fun!) little trick mostly done in the south, to be played on the unsuspecting new kid. Here is a description I found on the internet:

"The Proverbial "Snipe Hunt."

In the rural South, and perhaps in other parts of the country, there comes the time
    for "The Snipe Hunt." Most all young boys are handed a gunny sack, a light of sorts,
    sometimes a whistle, and are taken deep into the woods to hunt Snipe. It's a right of
    passage and something which must be done alone.
    The snipe hunt by tradition is a rather simple affair. Legend has it..the snipe
    is nocturnal and is best hunted at night when it leaves its snipe nest. Webster defines
    the Snipe as a member of the Sandpiper family, but to this day no one has ever really
    seen a Snipe, much less captured one. At least to my knowledge!! (By the way, the
    fact that there really is long-billed bird called a Snipe has almost nothing to do with this
    ritual hunt.)
    You never shoot a snipe -- not with a gun, slingshot, or bow and arrow. You just catch
    them in a gunnysack. Sure it seems rather odd, trying to catch a bird with a gunnysack,
    but look at it this way, its another fun activity like chasing down a greased pig, or any
    of the other peculiar things guys in the country call fun. I have to admit I was "grown"
    before I learned the truth about "Snipe hunting," because when we moved to the city,
    there it was again. At camps in the summer, Snipe hunting was at the top of the list of
    activities!"

We were a lot meaner when I was a kid, we would leave the poor kid out in the woods without a light, sneak around making noises and throwing crap at him until he got scared. The last one we did I was in high school and we were really mean to that kid, led him out to the woods and then left him there, went back to camp and got drunk, and forgot about about him 'til about 4 am. Me and one other guy went out to find him, and he was crouched under a tree crying (he was 17!) Guy hated us forever.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't feel bad, I know plenty of people with no morals... *cough*inlaws*cough*

Reading your first post with no idea what you were talking about was pretty funny!

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaaha /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

A snipe is technically a small bird that as far as I know no one actually hunts, a "snipe hunt" in the traditional sense is a juvenile (but fun!) little trick mostly done in the south, to be played on the unsuspecting new kid. Here is a description I found on the internet:

"The Proverbial "Snipe Hunt."

In the rural South, and perhaps in other parts of the country, there comes the time
    for "The Snipe Hunt." Most all young boys are handed a gunny sack, a light of sorts,
    sometimes a whistle, and are taken deep into the woods to hunt Snipe. It's a right of
    passage and something which must be done alone.
    The snipe hunt by tradition is a rather simple affair. Legend has it..the snipe
    is nocturnal and is best hunted at night when it leaves its snipe nest. Webster defines
    the Snipe as a member of the Sandpiper family, but to this day no one has ever really
    seen a Snipe, much less captured one. At least to my knowledge!! (By the way, the
    fact that there really is long-billed bird called a Snipe has almost nothing to do with this
    ritual hunt.)
    You never shoot a snipe -- not with a gun, slingshot, or bow and arrow. You just catch
    them in a gunnysack. Sure it seems rather odd, trying to catch a bird with a gunnysack,
    but look at it this way, its another fun activity like chasing down a greased pig, or any
    of the other peculiar things guys in the country call fun. I have to admit I was "grown"
    before I learned the truth about "Snipe hunting," because when we moved to the city,
    there it was again. At camps in the summer, Snipe hunting was at the top of the list of
    activities!"

We were a lot meaner when I was a kid, we would leave the poor kid out in the woods without a light, sneak around making noises and throwing crap at him until he got scared. The last one we did I was in high school and we were really mean to that kid, led him out to the woods and then left him there, went back to camp and got drunk, and forgot about about him 'til about 4 am. Me and one other guy went out to find him, and he was crouched under a tree crying (he was 17!) Guy hated us forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats crazy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

19. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I was about 8 or 9 when i went snipe hunting. My dad gave me and my cousin a stick and a sack and sent us off into the woods. We kept comming back saying we could find any but he sent us back and said not to come back untill daylight or we caught one. Well at day light we came back and there sure was alot of beer cans on the porch. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

People actually eat something that looks like THAT??? This HAS to be an east coast thing...