Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moser Axle Shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Mar 9, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Anybody use or know of anybody using Moser shafts. They are very strong, but I would like some opinions from users. The Warn Full FLoater 12 bolt kit is like 700 bucks. I can get Moser shafts and the wide bearings for like 300 bucks.

Please, not "just swap it to a 14 bolt full floater" responsed. The 14 bolt has way to many draw backs for me.

Thanks
    Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I have a friend with an older mustang (65?)and moser shafts in a 9 inch rearend with a detroit. I'm not sure about the number of splines. I know, I know, it's a car, but it has some serious hp. He dropped in a 460 and runs it at the strip every weekend. The engine was rated a 500+ (before the tunnel ram)on a dyno and he runs WIDE slicks. He has had no problems so far, and the axles have been in for about two years. Just a side note, I bought strange axles for my twelve bolt. I would've had to wait longer for the moser's and I needed my rig runnin ASAP. Hope this helps some.

BIGJ

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The wide bearings !, are you takling like the Ford 9" ?
    I here the Moser are only rated to like 72,000 lbs./in. thats like only 10-20% better than OEM.
    Or maybe I am getting the numbers mixed up with the Mark Williams axles .

Its still to early to get any feedback from the Warn FF kit, but what I have heard is sealing problems,rocks
    hitting/breaking the hubs, weak spindles..... at least Warn told me they have not had to replace any crom-moly
    shafts.

What I would like to see is the real world streght of the axles, big 36-38" tires on the end of the flange/hub
    and 3/4 of the gvw applied to that, add a foot or two of airbore vehicle, and a healthly small block, crawl ratio
    around 50:1......ect

Please let me know if you have any data from testing or the manufacture to share.

4. Depdog

Well, on the orc chevy board, guy that goes by "shaggy", I think his real name is Evan. He has had them on his K-10 with 38's and has not broken a shaft yet. He has however broken stock front shafts and destroyed the 4340 chromoly one when a ujoint broke and killed the yoke.

Depdog

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Where are you getting the info on the Warn F.F. kit? The setup for the 10/12-bolts has only been on the market for a couple of months, and I have yet to see or hear anyone who has it on a fullsize truck. I do know a guy with the kit on a Dana 44 in a Jeep (35's, built 360, lockers) who four wheels a lot and has had no problems. I'm just curious because I'm interested in the possibly getting the kit in the future.

6. Depdog

Stephen Watson at Offroad Designs was WARN's Guinnea pig I do beleive, he has the kits and has had them for a few months, even befor WARN posted them on their site. He has a 12 bolt under his Green Beast now, and the Project Stinky 6.2 diesel that was in FourWheeler has the 10 bolt version under his. He is also doing a Bummer body I heard.

Depdog

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Last time I saw it in a magazine, the Off-Road Design green Blazer was using a 14 bolt rear axle. Anyways, 4x4 Power did a review of the Moser shafts for the 12 bolt rearend about a year ago. They said very good things about it and they're cheap. I bought them, but just haven't installed them yet.

8. Depdog

Yep, have read all the mags stuff about moser, severl times even. Call Stephen Watson at ORD, he now has a 12 bolt full floater, matter of fact, it came out of a Chevy Van and is 4" wider than the stock rear end. He put 1/2 inch spacers and longer studs in the front to make them even.

Depdog