Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mossberg shotgun

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Oct 5, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

12 ga pump 28" vent rib barrel, plus 18 1/2" barrel
    220$ @ Big5
    good gun? worth it?
    [​IMG]
    or i can get this one, same price, and just get a longer barrel for it(i can do that right?) to go target shooting or hunting.
    [​IMG]
    20" barrel 8 shot mag

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

In most states, there is a limit on how many shells you can load up for hunting anyway.... up here it's 3 (2 in the mag and one chambered) for all waterfoul, and 5 or 6 (4 or 5 in the mag and one chambered) for all other game animals. I can't see how an 8 shot gun would benefit anyone, for trap shooting, you can only have 3 shells loaded, for hunting you can only have a max of 6 (maybe.) The ONLY reason to be able to carry 8 in the weapon is to ward off an intruder (might as well say splatter instead of ward off.) Now mind you, I say this only about shotguns because I know how heavy my Remington 870 is with 5 shells in it, and because rifles are usually lighter than most shotguns when loaded. My SKS is designed to hold 10 rounds in a fixed magazine, my Dad's 30-30 lever holds 5+1, and my Uncle's 700 holds 7 I believe.

Just because a gun or rifle is designed to hold more shells or cartridges doesn't make it better than another weapon with less capacity (unless you are in the Military talking about carrying an M249 S.A.W. or M2 .50 cal machine gun for deer hunting.) Seriously, if you can't go into the woods with 2 slugs (or bullets) and know that if you see a deer, he's coming home on the back of your rig, then you shouldn't be hunting with that weapon.

Don't take what I've said the wrong way.... I'm all about firepower... I was an armorer for the Marines, and I consider myself a beginner gunsmith now. I just don't understand why people buy firearms for quantity instead of quality. I'd rather go to the gun shop and buy a $2000 Kimber 1911 than to go buy a $600 Beretta 9mm because the "9" holds twice as many bullets(7 for kimber, 14 for M9.) I'm going with the Kimber for accuracy and quality of the shot, not how many times I can pull the trigger with one hand before my fingers start to vibrate.

**EDIT**

In my haste to yell at you for the two guns you selected, I forgot to ask you what model Mossberg you are looking at. If you are looking for a gun that looks cool, get the shorty. If you are looking for an effective slug/shot gun, then go with the one that comes with 2 barrels... or better yet, buy a gun that comes only with a 28" rifled slug barrel and spend $220, then find a good short barrel for other uses.

If you want the effectiveness of the wood grain gun in the composite stock version, then buy the wood one, and buy a new Monte Carlo stock for it for the look AND quality of workmanship. Remember, just because a gun or rifle is expensive doesn't mean it's good, and just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad, but that's USUALLY the way it goes.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

$2000 sidearm? Cheeeeeristtttt

4. PhoenixZorn

I wouldn't really call a Kimber a "Sidearm" persay.... more of a very short brush gun. =) The power that "little" .45 packs is amazing, and the accuracy can't be matched. I will however take a standard M1911 .45 over a Kimber any day of the week just to show up my friend with his modded Kimber.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah I was going to say, $2000 doesn't guarantee 100% reliable, epecially with 1911. It's not like you're going to have practical time to aim that showpiece, as nice as it is, in certain situations, to justify it's accuracy.

Some guy with a $250 .38 is always going to be a really good point shooter

6. Resurrection_Joe

Oh, as for the shotguns, get the combo barrel one and practice reloading

No matter how cock shaming your ammo capcity is, you'll eventually run out.

Both of my 870's have stock five round capacicty

Oh, BTW, you haven't seen funny until you have seen a side folder with a 28" vent rib on it

7. PhoenixZorn

Nice RJ... where'd you get the stock for that?

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

cool thats what i wasthinking
    jeex 6 replies and not one ya the mosseberg is a good gun
    or its id a ****ty gun
    but ill get the combo, i can alway get a mag extender

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'd just go with a Remington 870.

They are the 67-91 Chevys of the shotgun world.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Mossberg and 870 are comparable as long as you get the 500 or 870 respecitively. What I have HEARD is that 500's have better jam recovery and wobbly slide rails and 870's jam harder and are a bit more rugged.

I think you'll do fine with either

Just or fun

[​IMG]

And to answer the ineveitable questions, yes, and no

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had my Big5 Mossberg 500 for almost 15 years now, and it still works. :)

Actually, it has been fairly abused. Used to carry it hiking me in the wet northwest woods for days at a time (with no oil) and have put thousands of rounds through it. Very little rust for its age, the receiver is aluminum which is kind of nice.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a "tight" gun, but I'm not trying to get 1" groups at 100yds with a slug either. I really haven't compared how "tight" it feels to the 870, but it obviously doesn't matter. I can't recall that it has ever jammed on me, although if it has it was likely because of me doing something stupid with it. Go compare barrel prices at someplace like midwayusa.com, I think the 500 parts are quite a bit cheaper.

I've reloaded for it since I first bought it, and I'm sure a fair number of my first few hundred rounds were a bit hot. Even shot rocksalt rounds I made, but they sucked. :)

Personally I say get the 6 round gun. You lose 2" of overall length (18" barrel) which is nice and handy, especially with the pistol grip ($20?) and 6 rounds is more than enough. I've never wished for more rounds. Easy enough to reload that you could add 2 more rounds to the magazine about as fast as you can shoot them. My big 5 alternately advertises the 8 round gun and the 6 rounder, seems like every month they swap the guns.

12. PhoenixZorn

That would be... Do you shoot that? (yes) and Does it hurt? (no)

I was just looking through my ATI Fibreforce catalogue RJ... I already did the SKS Dragunov style, now I'm going to get the M4/M16 conversion stock for my dad's 870 and my Pardner 20GA They'll look badass next to each other.

13. Resurrection_Joe

No, that wasn't what I meant

Holding that thing holded crossbody and letting off a magnum round can almost snap your thumb. Ouchers.

The folder is nice and fairly steady, but the forened was absolute gash, ack ack ack, didn't fit, too smooth to grip. Brought the LOP down to my level though.

I'mma go kill deers!

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like [​IMG]

15. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I like 870's better, but Mossbergs ain't bad. My buddy has a 20ga 500, and like RJ said, it's got the wobbly side rail thing going on, so it makes a ton of racket and feels cheap. I've never seen it jam and it shoots pretty well (as in, I hardly ever shoot skeet and hit most of em my first time out with that gun).

Ditto on the 6 shot gun. You don't need a belt fed weapon to shoot deer. If you do, chances are you need to learn how to point a gun at something.

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Awwwwww come on man, lets go deer huntin
    [​IMG]

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I like mine. Has the same barrel combo, too.

John

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Man thats the one cool thing about OK
    walk in, buy gun, walk out.
    ill get mine in 10 days :rolleyes:

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Worked in a gun store while going thru college. Once in a while we'd get an 870 that needed parts. Can't say the same for the 500's. Did have one that stopped working. Once I got the ~15 years of built up WD-40 goo out of it, it would function again.
    They did have a recall years ago on the safety's slider. Shouldn't affect a new gun purchase.
    The only barrels that fit the 8 round guns are shorty's. If you want a hunting barrel to fit buy the std mag gun.

20. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

Not meaning to hijack, but how much do you think I could sell a brand new never used .410 gauge Remington 870 Express with a wood stock? We got it about two years ago at the end of the season, and by the start of the next season it was too small for my brother. So it's still brand new, never shot. Any ballpark estimates? :dunno: