Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Most available T-case to go on th400?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imiceman44, Dec 11, 2002.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK guys, I am getting ready to put a th400/T-case? in my truck, and I am wondering, which one was available the most behind the th400.
    I don't care about the strength issue since the max tire size on this one will be 35" for sand snow and some all around camping and fourwheeling.
    I want to know what to look for and I am also guessing the most available would be the cheaper.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I dont know for sure but my guess would be a 203 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

As I recall te 400/203 is rare. The 400/205 is more common, and was on 1-ton trucks from 77 (I think) up through at least 87.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know the 205 was pretty common behind the 400 but it's also the most sought after for the doubler, so I want another one.
    I want a Tcase that no one wants to get it dirt cheap, and maybe even get 2, one as a spare.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

400/208 is probably going to be your best bet. They were in MOST of the CUCV's and there are a whole lot of those trucks being parted out.

Mike

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for a 203, maybe I can hook you up since you're already coming this way. I have a 203 that was mated to a 350. Since I'm a novice to this stuff, I'm not sure if it'll work or not without some major modification.

If it will work we can work something out, but you're gonna have to put me in your will /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is what I thought but I will wait for a couple more responses, I also think the 241 is an option on the newer one, but am not sure of the numbers and availability.
    My next question will be, is:
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR SALE?
    I will be checking the yards, the for sale forum and since I am not in a hurry, my current setup is working but feel it's on it's way, I am trying to be prepared.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I'd rather steer away from the 203, all the vehicles I had owned so far had the 203, including the van that I converted to 4wd since I had one handy.
    It's a heavy beast and I really hate handling it for any repair I have to do to the tranny.
    Notice however that it's never the 203 that has the problem, it's always the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Plus this truck is going to be for snow and sand so I'd rather go with lightweight aluminum case.

9. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can check with Wayne. He has a buddy that parts out a lot of those trucks. Also, I sold M1008's to Keith and Glenn(Depdog). One of them might still have a 400/208 combo?

I am hoping to get 3 more M1008's in the near future, and if I do I will have some extras.

Mike

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 208 is the most common and widely available t-case to bolt to the 400.

They started in '81 and ran up to '88.
    These 208 are more plentiful because they were in 3/4 ton trucks, Subs, and 3/4 ton crew cabs. More of them than the other t-cases.

241's ran from '89 to '91. (V-series we are talking about here)
    205's had 2 versions...'80-'84, and '85-'91.
    203's are like the others say...pretty rare, but they are out there.

So, the easiest search and fastest one you will find to bolt up is the 208. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif