Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Most desirable Blazer?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Sep 8, 2001.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

So what is the most wanted blazer? Which one would you pick as a platform to build on if you could pick any.

Just wonderin,
    David

2. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

mine is, and its for sale..............lol

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think any of the full covertable Blazers is prolly the most sought after. First gen or Second gen is personal preference, but the first gens are harder to find. The 73-4-5 Blazers are getting harder and harder to find as well though.

Mind you if you're building it, any year wil do nicely...the newer ones can easily (sort of...) be converted to full convertable, and they have the benifit of FI.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

When I was looking (took forever to find one), I was looking for a '72 with a 4-speed. That's what I bought. The Gen1 Blazers are a little lighter than the Gen2, and I like the style a little better.

5. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Ditto, tRusty. 1st gens have great style (I love mine!) but with the 2nd gen full toppers becoming so scarce(because of severe rust issues) these would be the ones to scramble for, at this point. Anyone know where there's a decent tub? My dad needs one for his '73.

"High compression engines take longer to start!"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ressurection on 09/09/01 11:21 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wanted a full convertible blazer ('75-earlier), and I also wanted something smog exempt here in California, so I could build a crazy engine and not have to worry about smoging it... (well for now at least). Since smog exempt is pre '73, that further narrowed down my decision.
    I like the first gen bodystyle better, and how you don't see many of them on the road. I also like the '71-'72 grille. Since I didn't want a billet grille I wanted an original grille,
    and I thought '71 the eggcrate grille is black, and '72 more grey (is this right?).
    So I decided on a 1972.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know of a 74 tub being sold for $200 or so...its in WA. state. I'll have a better look on saturday when I'm there.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Ryan, the diff btwn 71 &amp; 72 re: the grill is this: there is a recess in the perimeter of the grill surround (the anodized aluminum trim that goes around the grill and headlights). On the 71 it's left plain, on the 72 it's painted a flat/matte black. C'es ca! (that's it, in french for tRusty! LOL!)

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

9. StevenB

StevenB Registered Member

My personal favorite is the Jimmy. I have a 70 and like the looks of the GMC front end

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Also, late 71 &amp; 72 models came stock with front disk brakes!
    The easiest way to tell a 71 from a 72 is the 71's rearview mirror is mounted to the window frame and the 72 is glued to the window. I am always re-gluing my damn mirror to the window!! At least 4 times a year.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

11. JUNKYARDJOHN

JUNKYARDJOHN Registered Member

DEFINATLY THE 71S OR 72S. I HAVE ONE OF EACH, &amp; I LOVE EM BOTH

12. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

How about a 1970 CST with a D60/14B (locked) combo with a total of 6-7" of lift and 38" SX Swampers (cut fenders for clearence). And then add FI 454 or 502 BBC with TH400 (with a 3.0:1 first gear) connected to a NP203/205 Doubler. Cross over Hyd. asist steering and Hydroboost brake system. Full cage with soft top. Custom bumpers w/tire carrier and custom Rock Sliders. Ice cold A/C and a bumpin' stereo system..........

Hum.................Anything else....?

Not that this by any means is what I have at this point, but that is my most desirable Blazer. And I hopefully will be there one day. [​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

Oh Yea, I would need a dual battery system with a high current Amp. On board air of some sort along with a on board welding system. (And I need to learn to weld [​IMG])

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>