Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Most likely place for vacuum leaks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Dec 17, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I finaly got my stereo finished for the burb and was drivin it to work and it started sputtering really badly and then a little further down the road it started misfiring every mile or so. I'm thinking its some kind of vacuum issue but I cant put my finger on it. I replaced all the major vacuum hoses that I could find and still no luck. I wanna just check and see if its something blatantly obvious before I take it to a mechanic. Thx

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check for any bad plug wires. Make sure that none are touching hot exhaust. I had this happen before and it did exactly what you describe.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had that happen and i check for vacuum leaks. turned out to be the module in the distrubiter i this it was like 5 bucks or something

4. afroman006

I replaced my ignition module a few months ago. I'll check the plug wires.

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

This probably wouldn't make it run all to terribly but since you were putting in a stereo who knows.
    When I replaced my heater core a buddy of mine was telling me that the heaters vaccum is manifold vaccum and if I one of my diahrams weren't working right it would make my truck run shitty.
    Don't know much about that but maybe you accidentally pulled one of the vaccum lines of your heater. I really don't think it would make it back fire but who knows. You might not even have a vaccum actuated heater lol.
    Also where did you get your power wires from on your stereo? Maybe you tied into something you shouldn't have?
    Sorry just grasping at stuff here lol

6. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Although it sounds like a firing problem, check for vac leaks at your intake while you are at it.

To check for vac leaks around intake, turn engine on and spray carb cleaner around the base of the intake. If there is a leak, you will hear the engine surge as the carb cleaner is being burned.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Starting fluid works real good to check for vacuum leaks too....

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Or a propane torch. But not lit!! Put the torch head on the bottle and crack the valve, but DO NOT light the torch. Poke around pointing the torch wherever you want to check for vacuum leaks. When the rpm's go up, you've found the spot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like this better 'cause if it were to ignite for some reason, it's just a matter of pulling the torch away from the engine bay. If starting fluid or carb cleaner catches, then you have a fire to put out...

9. afroman006

The stereo didn't cause it as it did the same thing before I put it in. The positive wire to the amps is hooked dirrectly to the battery and the negative is grounded to the frame. I've heard about the propane torch trick before but haven't tried it yet. I just need a basic guideline for where to search. From what I've gathered, all the vacuum hoses (duh...) and intake and TBI gaskets? Anything else? I'm almost certain this is what it has to be. BTW if it matter its usually runs well when the engine's cold and when I dont romp on it but when I get a little zesty with the go peddle it starts f---in up. Thx for the help I appreciate the suggestions.