Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mother F&$%^ing RUST!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, May 3, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

WEll, after goign through hell with my Suburban and rust...

For my wheeling vehivle I got a Blazer from Georgia. Beuatifully rust free... so I thought.

Seems like it has had a leak somewhere up front for a long time. Floor boards are toast. Luckily just the front where your feet go. WEll, not toast, but rusty.

Behind the front seats and the bed area is like new. So, I cant complain really. Just had to vent.

WHY DONT PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF PROBLEMS!!!! All they had to do was either take out the carpet or fix the leak. But, no... they had to let it go and let this happen.

Some people!!!

Ken H.

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Being a sheet metal guy, I cut everything out and welded a ton of metal into mine.

3. four_by_ken

Thats what I am going to end up doing. Hopefully get back to it tonight and see how bad it truely is.
    Not as bad as A LOT of others... just disappointing to me.

Ken H.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My buddy just bought an 89 Blazer a couple of weeks ago...he asked "What's the first thing I should do?" I told him to remove the carpet.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sorry to hear you found rust on your truck, at least it is limited to the front floors though. When the truck is riddled with rust it's much more frustrating! When I bought my Jimmy I knew Chevy's but not K5's too well, especially where they are mostly prone to rust. I thought I was buying a truck with very minimal rust...inside of a year it was pretty obvious a cheap body job and a quick paint job was what I got and the body was gone./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Rene

5. four_by_ken

I spent a lot of time on my Suburban, 85.

There is metal on the Blazer I never knew the Suburban was even supposed to have!!!!

Yup... GET RID OF THE CARPET!!!!

Ken H.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I found some on the drivers side where the floorboards meet the rocker panel. Chevy put a step there prefect to collect water and you can't see it with the carpet. Why do they put an area where water can pool and not put a drain hole is beside me? The doors on my '69 Mustang Mach1 used to fill with water, had to take a wire and clean the drain holes. That would work till more dirt cloged them again.

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad. I need to replace the entire floor from firewall to tailpan in my 74. The front floor boards are wavy thin and pop in and out when I put weight on them.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

HHAAAA....on mine (84).. i have NO tailpan..and need a new rear floor..and the spot were the front bourd drivers AND passangers meet the rocker..is totally gone through..i mena i can see the ground! lol..so i have some work ot do..but im getting a new tilpan..HAVE new tailgate for it..and need new rear floor sections..and im just going to patch up the fornt floors..cuase hte rest looks good.and wheel wells are great..but for the front rightside one needs a new one..take it little by little its really not al lthat hard to do...

Bryan-later

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I hear ya brother... man the rust belt sucks, thus it really sucks when you go elsewhere to buy and it still has rust. I'd strongly recomend doing a number of different coats of undercoating and drilling some holes in the back rocker panels to spray in and coat the insides and plug with some rubber plugs. I have zero rust covered by two layers of cheap undercoating on mine.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

But I'm in Cal I shouldn't have to worry about rust. 8>(

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I will second the getting rid or just replacing ( I will ) the carpet I didn't have carpet in my 73 blazer but I had the factory rubber mats and when I took mine out there was just some surface rust nothing bad under that tar crap that they put in but was clean where there was no tar ,go figure......I also had to fix the front floor at the side panel but nothing that bad...mike