Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor #4, going, going, gone.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 2, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Well, I just put a 350 in my '75 Blazer to get it going this fall to drive and take it exploring on the backroads. Well, now this motor is going out.

History of Blazer:
    July 2001. 327 motor starts knocking. Bad rod bearings, all other bearings to copper. Put 350 motor in out of another Blazer.

May 2002. 350 motor had metal shavings in oil. Stopped driving Blazer, took Blazer all apart between June-August.

August 2002. Put Blazer back together with 3/4 ton running gear, SM465 4spd/205, and SB400. SB400 motor fired up on August 20th. Motor blows head gasket August 21st.

August 30th, 2002. Pull out SB400 and put in another 350 with 50,000 miles that I got a hold of (determined to go wheeling Labor Day weekend).

September 2nd, 2002. Figure out the noise that is coming from the 350 I just put in is a wristpin, so I must shut it off and not drive it.

I guess the 5th motor will be the charm. I can either put together a 327 with 11:1 pistons, a 350 with flattops, or another SB400. And I know that I will get it running/driving again just after the tabs expire in November. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You've had some bad luck. I would go with the 400. Since it will be rebuilt you might get a few weeks out of it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. mountainexplorer

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Yeah, maybe a few weeks. Seems like theres just some curse trying to keep me from driving a K5 around. I have 2 others and neither of them run either right now. I'm always stuck driving the long wheelbase rigs around, especially up in the mountains. Oh well. I guess I get to pull another motor out.

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

You could get a rebuild, but, dang! which one to use as a core??

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Just put one of those 350's and the 400 together for a 383 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. mountainexplorer

hmmmm...383. Another option.
    Well, I just pulled one head off the 400, and luckily it was just the head gasket, and not a cracked head. Turns out to be .040 over with little ridge at all in the cylinders. Its got the stock style dished pistons.

The head gasket was pretty bad. The gasket was gone between 4 & 6 and the metal ring of the gasket around #8 was broken.

I'm half tempted to just throw new head gaskets on the motor and run it again. Of course, something else is bound to go wrong within at least a few weeks if I put it back in my Blazer.

Of course that 327 I have is still sitting on the stand, with 11:1's. I have some 041 casting heads for it and an Erson gear drive. All I need is a cam and lifters and gasket set.

Or a .030 over 350 on another stand with dished pistons. All I need to do is throw on some 305 HO heads I have.

Or a .040 over 350 with flattops using the heads off the 350 currently in the Blazer. Just needs assembled.

Or get that .030 over 400 block from my friend still in the bag along with polished crank and start building. All I'd need to do is go through the heads, buy pistons and cam, lifters etc...

Too many options! ...or I could work on another truck while I figure out what I'm going to do.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

.030 350, with your friends polished 400 crank and 305 HO heads, my Doug Thorley headers, and my brothers cam. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. mountainexplorer

What sort of work needs to be done to a 350 block in order to use the 400 crank and make a 383? It seems like Ive been told by someone before, but I cant remember all the internal parts used in a 383. (350 or 400 rods) I'd assume the 400 balancer and flywheel are used unless the crank is balanced, right?