Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor about to blow? Need info!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Jan 6, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Tonight after 15 minutes of 65-70 driving on the expressway, when I got back on regualr roads, I lost a lot of power and heard some noise that I thought was my valve train (like i'd dumped all my oil). I had good high oil pres., and the noise was the towards the back, and the same on both sides from the 3 feet away from the valve covers I was standing, so I ruled out lifters. I figure it's something in the lower half. I figured I finally threw a bearing after a couple weeks starting her cold and slamming on the gas to get to the train station with 10 seconds of warm up in the freezing weather...

I haven't done squat to listen to or diag it, just drove it home, then went out to start isolating the sound, and she's quiet and smooth now. I even drove it around to warm up and see if it came back when the oil warmed up, but nothing, quiet and powerful.

What could cause this?

This happened once a lonnnnnng time ago when I ran it too high too long as my tranny was dumping out all fluid... But that time the temp was in the red, and the manifolds were glowing... This time, temps were low...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 01/06/02 07:30 PM.</FONT></P>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Interesting... hard to diagnois without being there but I would start with the basics. Drain the oil and change the filter. Cut open the oil filter and see if there is any metal particles. If you have metal... then you know you are in trouble... if not then I would see if it does it again and watch the oil pressure and engine temp. You could have something like a sticky lifter but that is really hard to say from what is posted.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

what motor/carb /year K5 ya got?

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

OK, sorry for sparsing details:

'88 TBI 350

It does sound like it's the lifters, but when I moved from side to side it seemed identical and coming from the bellhousing area (cracked flywheel crossed my mind, but not now since it's gone). It wasn't a different tick/knock from any different listening position like it would be if it were lifter(s) on each side. Heck, it could be a lifter and I just couldn't tell from the road noise around me... But it was really loud, even with the cab closed up at highway speed it was noticable.

The oil was nice and brown (normal color) not burnt or overly used - it's semi synthetic, btw. Although there was just a tiny tiny amount of bubble on it when I checked it right after shutting down, which was gone later. Coolant was clean and level too.
    Could the oil have somehow airated and thinned out while I was driving it on the highway?? I forget how many miles are on this particular change, but offhand I'd guess 2000, so it's not that old.

If I get home at a decent hour tomorrow night, I'll cut open the filter and see what I find... Thanks for the response!!

Ratch
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ratch, could it have been the a/c compressor engaging, and locking up? Had that happen on my old '71 Camaro, it sounded like the darn motor was gone.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

Hey I had the same problem in the middle of nowhere, I tought the trans was going, had no chance to get repaird, so I driven about 200 mi, and then everything blow up.
    The main bearings almost melted, I know the sensor tell you that there is a good pressure, but is 'couse is at the top of the block, so when the engine is running all the oil goes around and there is not much left in the pan.
    Check your oil level and drop the pan to take a look.
    Hope this can help.

Good luck

Luca

P.s. Forgive my english

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BlazinOr, I unplugged the compressor clutch last month when defogger kept engaging it (a feeble attempt at saving gas...). But it did sound very much like that, engaging and disengaging real rapidly, except it followed the rpm and came from the back/bottom. It was constant too, once we noticed it after exiting the highway, it didn't go away. I even shut down and let it cool in a parking lot for 10 minutes, but the sound was there when we restarted, then gone when I got home and let it cool for an hour and restarted.

BlazingItaly
    I'm afraid of what you're saying... I had the pan down a few months ago swapping the oil pump, and I popped one main cap and looked at that bearing. It looked ok visually, but I didn't have the time or tools to measure any.

Would a bearing do that though? Clatter like crazy for a while, then not do it when cooled?

This morning the truck fired up and ran perfect going to the train station. I was real easy on it thinking of possible impending disaster, but it was fine, no hint of trouble.

Trans is shifting smooth as butter too.

Ratch
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

8. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

Maybe your are lucky, 'couse mine did it everytime even when cold, but just to be sure take a look in the pan, is a good excuse to do another oil change.

Let me know if you find another cause.

Good Luck

Luca