Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor back together - ticky sound?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I finally got the motor back together. 1 new piston, new rod bearings, and new lifters -- more of a temporary fix than a rebuild. Anyway I fired it up and the oil pressure is fine but I have a loud tap coming from the driver's side of the motor. It sounds kind of like a hammer hitting steel. Not a really deep sound. Any ideas?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Recheck the valve lash, might have a loose rocker arm....

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

That was my first thought. I just wish GM hadn't made it so difficult to get the valve covers off on the later model trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Mark....are you using manifolds or headers? I've had exhaust leaks at the head sound like that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    If there isn't an exhaust leak, then do like Kelly suggested and check the valvetrain.

Which side has the new piston? Is it the same side as the noise? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Manifolds - I did look for exhaust leaks but couldn't find any. The piston was on the other side. It also runs ever-so-slightly rough. I don't have much experience with motors but I think it acts like an exhaust valve opening late. I'll know on Friday /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    The thing that worries me is that I checked the valve lash twice before I put it in, could one of the lifters be bad?

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Check them rockers.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would agree, check the valvetrain. You mentioned that you replaced the lifters, but not the cam? How did the cam lobes look?

Also look for broken valvesprings and maybe a bent pushrod? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I skipped the cam. I was really fixing this on the cheap. The lobes didn't look bad (in my very non-professional opinion). I am saving for a full-on rebuild next year and am hoping this job gets me by.