Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor build time :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm looking at buying a truck from one of the other guys on CK5 here, and as such, it comes with no motor. Started poking around the shop today to see what was 'available'. Can't use a 454, not ready to spend the bucks on a TH400 yet, so I'm going with a 350 block.

At first I was planning on using a bare L98 block to start with, but then realized with where I was going, I'd spend well over 3 grand on the motor. A little looking around, and then I found it sitting in the corner. A 300 HP 356. The engine had been built last year before I got to the shop, and had been pulled because of a bad oil problem and some broken valve springs.

It's got some 1492 casting heads on it (camel hump, old school style), an agressive cam (hence the broken valve springs), and a nice dual-plane intake on it. It was bored out 0.040" IIRC. Anyways, the oil problem we figured was either a problem with the bore, or the piston rings.

Here's my plan for this motor; tear it apart and check to see if the pistons were ringed correctly (might have just been some misaligned rings), and check all the bores/pistons/rings with a caliper to verify size. If it's a bore problem, it's getting bored again to 0.060 over (360 CID). Now the big question is... stroker, or no? If it gets stroked, it'll be a grand total of 389 cubes. The heads have roller tip rockers on them, and I might go for a cam grind designed for lower operating RPMs. I think this cam is in the 2000-6000 range.

This motor has a grand total of about 300 miles since it was built, the heads had a lot of valve work done... just the dual springs couldn't hold up to the cam.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions for a cam grind and intake that will work well with the camel humps?

Basically, I'm trying to avoid spending the $$$ for a built set of heads. These are free (nothing beats free parts ya know) and already had a lot of work put in them.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if the budget permits bore it, sleve it, stroke it and have a 454 SBC. :bow:

if not and the block is still good then bore it and run it with everything that is still good from the motor now.
    Grant

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

::shudder::

I've got a 454 in pieces, but don't want to go for a 454 until I blow up the TH350 and decide to get the TH400 (and adapter for the NP205).

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Biggest you can get out of a chevy small block is a 420 and you kinda have to start with a 400 block... boring and sleeving a 350 block to a 454 would be asking for a cracked block...

I can solve your problem though.... find a 350 rocket block. =) You can bore it and stroke it with no sleeves... to 468 cubes for the largest small block on the market. =) I didn't say it'd be cheap... but it would solve your displacement problems. =)

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait, th400s are expensive? lol! dunno about where you live, but compared to the kinds of engine mods you are talkin' about, th400s are a dime a dozen.

j

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, more like I've got enough cash to get the truck together and in decent shape with the TH350 that's in there.

I'd need the 4WD TH400 and the 400-205 adapter.

It's just a matter of what I've got budgeted right now. I knew the truck had no motor, so there's money set aside for an engine build. But there's no money set aside for a transmission.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I hear ya bro. :thumb: btw, I may have a th400-to-205 adapter for sale soon if you need to piece together a 400/205 drivetrain someday. :D

j