Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MOTOR BUILDING HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Oct 10, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok i just got a 350 4 bolt main motor i want to build up for my blazer (thanks kennyw) i have 194 heads and a edelbrock torquer intake. what would you guys suggest to get the most horsepower and torque i can and still run regular gas? I'm thinking like a 10:1 compression. what cam should i go with? I'm going to run a gear drive. anything i can do besides cam that don't cost much that will help? i don't have a whole lot of money to spend so i cant go to crazy. anyway what do you guys suggest? oh and i cant afford to do a 383 stroker so don't even mention that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do the 383.

It's not as expensive as you think.

I'd say throw out any GM heads you have but you said there is a serious budget.

9:1 is plenty for a truck.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I know, I know, you dont want to hear about it but the stroker is a great way to really get some low down torque without going to a big block. If you can wait a week or two to save a little more cash the stroker is worth the cost. I had a perfect excuse though when my motor went to build a stroker because the bearing took care of my 350 crank nicely. Nevertheless cam wise I try to be a little conservative with the duration so you can have some good low end torque, it's really hard to keep yourself from building a nice motor with some cam to it. Love engines that rumble the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well to be honest i'd ditch the torquer intake and get a performer or performer rpm, the torquer is gonna be way to much for those heads. break out the die grinder and do a MILD port job on those heads, basically just smooth out any bumps and ridges, smooth the shortside radius if you feel up to it. I like the extreme 4X4 cams for a cam, try pn #'s 12-235-2 or 12-239-2. If you've got the gear drive go ahead and run it, if not don't waste your money if you're really on a tight budget. I'd get the engine kit from Northern autoparts, it's got all kind's of options and they allow cam substitutions (for a price of course). This of course assumes the crank and rods are in good shape. If you're gonna have to spend money there the other guys are right you may as well do a stroker, the price difference isn't that much if you shop carefully.

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

get the big Performance Automotive Warehouse cataloge. 5 bucks. they have tons of affordable engine kits /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you can get their SSI cams for like 80 bucks. best way to keep it cheep is to reuse everything you can, get your machine work done and find a nice torque cam.

i agree on the manifold- get a performer.

Psst- i have 2 and would be willing to sell one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Well to be honest i'd ditch the torquer intake and get a performer or performer rpm, the torquer is gonna be way to much for those heads.

[/ QUOTE ]
    why do you say that? i have been running it on my stock 350 for about 4 years and it has worked awesome for me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The Torquer loses to much low end. Use the Comp 4x4 cams listed, and clean the bowls of the heads a bit if you have time.

A 383 stroker kit can be had for 499 in some places....

8. mudhog

oh and i also have headers with true duel 2.5in exhaust

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so are you going to rebuid the whole thing or are you just looking to do the top end?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

really true dual 2.5 and a torker intake aren't a great idea on a stock 350. Sure you will make more than stock power but you'd actually make more with smaller exhaust and better intake. A Ebrock Performer or RPM will be better choices. Dual 2.5" exhausts I have, do, and will run. I just can't bring myself to put 2.25" exhaust on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Forget the gear drive. Use a regular quality double roller and put the extra money twards a 383 crank. They go for around $200. Pistons might cost a bit more then a regular 350 piston but not by much. So you are looking at like $220-$250 for a stroker. For a truck I think 10:1 is at least a point to high with iron heads.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

on a truck with a nice torquey camshaft 10:1 is too high unless you plan to run a little bit of race fuel(my opinion take it or leave it). I am building a 383, it will have about 10:1 compression with a nice torquey cam. I plan to be mixing fuel. Namely buying a 5 gallon can of say 108 octane running like 4 gallons of 93 to every gallon of 108. Whatever you get the idea. 9:1 is a better thought in my book. I'm building a 383, I don't expect to have more than $500 in the 383 components. I got my crank for $170, all I need is a balancer, pistons are about the same as 350 pistons. Basically in a good rebuild, I'd get a new balancer and pistons anyway so it all makes sense to me.

13. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do the 383.

It's not as expensive as you think.

I'd say throw out any GM heads you have but you said there is a serious budget.

9:1 is plenty for a truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will TBI work with this Tim??

14. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    so are you going to rebuild the whole thing or are you just looking to do the top end?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm rebuilding the whole thing. i just got home from tearing it all down and will be taking it to the machinist tomorrow. i am also getting 5:13 gears as well. another thing i should mention is this will be mostly for mud and sand not slow rocks. so i want to get as much out of the motor as i can

15. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

well with those gears and your intentions of running mostly mud and sand, then i don't see any prob. running the torker. get a cam that matches that. you have a stick so no need to worry about the right converter. only thing that might hinder the motor is the heads. but if you are on a budget, those can be added later when you have the funds. sounds like fun, i'm jelouse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mudhog

WELL I HAVE 194 HEADS FOR IT AND I MIGHT HAVE A LINE ON A SET OF 202'S /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a good set of heads is a must. If you get a good set of heads, I'd say get your rotating assembly balanced, stay with the Torker, get a rev limiter, and hold that mofo to it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    okoh and i cant afford to do a 383 stroker so don't even mention that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

button it up as is, if you cant afford a stroker you cant afford a stock rebuild either.

[ QUOTE ]
    WELL I HAVE 194 HEADS FOR IT AND I MIGHT HAVE A LINE ON A SET OF 202'S /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]valve size means nothing. i have a set of 1.94 heads sitting on the shelf that will blow away any stock "2.02 head" you can come up with. valve size isnt nearly as important as the ports.

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    button it up as is, if you cant afford a stroker you cant afford a stock rebuild either.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think thats quite true. you can due a budget rebuild and reuse your crank, ballancer and flywheel. three things you HAVE to buy with a stroker. plus there is clearancing the block which is more labor at the machine shop.

20. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think thats quite true. you can due a budget rebuild and reuse your crank, ballancer and flywheel. three things you HAVE to buy with a stroker. plus there is clearancing the block which is more labor at the machine shop.

[/ QUOTE ]
    bingo you just hit the nail on the head thats why i cant do the 383. but i can try to get as much out of my 350 as i can and thats what I'm asking for help with