Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor burning AntiFreeze

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I have a '86 K5 with a 305 V8, It has been losing coolant, it has been leaking it from some were in the rear of the motor. It is also burning it in the motor because I can smell it in the exaust, but the is No coolant in the oil so thay are not mixing. Since it has started doing this there is a vary quite ticking noise in the right side of the motor my guess is that it has some thing to do with it.

I have had lots of suggestions such as the Intake, and maybe the heads, I do some of my own motor work but this is something I think I am not ready to try on my own, So how much should all this work cost?

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a blown head gasget.
    Replacing the head gasgets is a pretty easy job. A Fel-pro head gasget kit is prolly $50

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Ya, probably your head gasket. I got a felpro head kit for 35 bucks at autozone.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, sounds like a head gasket to me also, but sence it's a 305, just drive it till it blows and drop in something bigger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Having the head gasket replaced, will that also cure the ticking noise that it is makeing on the right side of the motor?

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Most likely it will, you are either hearing the leak from the gasget or a rocker is a little loose.
    Either way replacing the gasgets should take care of the problem.
    Just clean the heads real well and check them for cracks, you may have to have the heads sent out to be shaved a little.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yep, sounds like head gasket. SBC's are designed quite well, and even with a blown head gasket, it is a lot more tolerant than say, a ford 302.

BTW guys, aint a head gasket just a tad bit tougher than you guys mentioned? Thought you had to remove all the accessories and the manifolds as well.... but I could be wrong, never done one before. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

If I were to take it to a service shop how much do you think it would cost to have repaired?

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Most likely labor will be 6 - 8 hours @ $45 and up depending on where ya take it.
    Then parts. if the headgasget kit costs about $40 if ya walk into a store and get it will prolly cost near $100 in a shop with the 150% mark up.
    Prolly around $350 - $400 to have it done at a shop.
    Doing them yourself is a little more work than say replacing the thermostat, but it is just nuts and bolts and not that bad of a job.
    A good torque wrench and some basic hand tools is all that ya realy need to do it.
    Of course having somewhere to do the job besides out in the weather is also a plus.