Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor Casting Number

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Oct 21, 2005.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

This is interesting . I pull the motor out of my Chevelle , which supposedly was a 305 to replace the dead 307 , at least thats what the guy who sold the Chevelle to my stepfather said . The tin and the heads are all showing late 70's corporate blue paint .

Well the motor is now sitting in my trail project . I took the number off the block rear , looked for the number on the pad up front but can't find it as the block may have been decked . Anyway the casting number on the block is GM 3849852 . And the breather looking chingas is on the rear of the block .

Mortec says its a 57-66 283 block . Classic Truck Shop says 64-68 283 block . Find both all over the internet . I know they came as low as 195 hp to as high as 220 hp in carbed form .

And you know what , it ran pretty snappy in the Chevelle when I drove it home , power to spare , and its the only engine I have running and earmarked for the Trail rig right now , so I am running it anyway :D

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The breather hole on the back of the block by the distributor is a dead giveaway. That is definately an old block. That breather disappeared in the late 60's. :D

I can check that 3849852 number in my book when I get home. :D

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

my dads got a 283 in his chevelle. oh man does that thing move. :bow:

4. pauly383

Cool . I just wished I could read the front pad so I knew what it came out of . She will be opened up a little with headers and a Q-jet on a later factory aluminum intake . Gonna be easy on her and I hope to get a few more years out of it in the trail rig :D

5. pauly383

Well , turns out after I removed some old paint , I got the engine code . # F0606WH , which seems to me is a 66 Chevy truck with a a powerglide and A.I.R , so I am thinking a California motor rated at 175 hp with a 2 bbl carb .

Gotta go double check the heads , think I missed a number , but looks like possibly early 70's 1.94/1.50 heads which is the biggest to fit without hitting the cylinder walls :D

This engine is super clean inside too . The outside was dirty , but it turns out the valve covers were leaking , gasket came off in one piece on both sides , with marks showing where the ends were sucked into the head .

Betcha it was rebuilt many miles ago before it found its way into the idiots hands who butchered my Chevelle engine bay :D:D