Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor choices... hmmm.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Oct 16, 2006.

?

Motor choices

Poll closed Nov 4, 2006.
  1. Go 454, don't change the gears, and live with it

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Go 454, taller gears, and don't go so fast on the highway

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Go big, cuz a 502 is just cool, baybee

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Go naked (no motor, just my feet, like a rickshaw)

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Since the 454 in my tow rig froze, I've been toying with the various options to replace it.

1. Go cheap, used. While I am confident I can do a motor swap, it'll be my first, and I *really* don't want to do it twice. Especially 'cuz I *need* the towrig to be reliable, out in the middle of nowhere pulling my K5 to BlazerBash '08.

2. Rebuild the one I have. Doable, but crate motors just sounds sexier.

3. Replacement GM crate motor. Not cheap, but NEW is always good, and would likely make me (and my wife!) more comfortable driving her.

4. Fancy GMPP crate motor. They have this HT502 that's not THAT much more than the replacement ... 510lb-ft of torque at like 2500rpm... that's GRUNT, baybee!

The truck in question is a crewcab, dually, and is either used for piddling around town when I'm buying steel or something and need the lumber rack, or towing great distances so I need the oomph. While I'm sure the replacement 454 would do ... that 502 just ... well, you know. :D

She's got 4.10:1 now in the rear, so I could gear her down, say, one step to 4.56:1 ... and go with the 454, save some dough.

Any thoughts?

-- A

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If you rebuild the 454 right, with a decent cleanup on the heads (or inexpensive aftermarket ones), a better camshaft, intake, etc., you will have more power than you could ever want without regearing. Those GMPP motors are good, but wayyyy overpriced. If rebuilding is out of the question, then I'd suggest a factory replacement crate with a cam swap. I would also rebuild the carb (q-jet, right?), install headers and decent exhaust, and possibly an upgraded HEI. I would avoid anything used without freshening it up first. You should be able to do a budget build on your current engine- assuming it's not trashed- for between $1000-2000, which will be less than half the cost of a crate.

3. dremu

Well, the current one is seized... but yeah, it's had new dizzie, new water pump, new alternator, hydroboost setup, etc ... all within the last six months.

The carb is due up for a rebuild too.

-- A

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Rebuild. Since it probably needs a crank and or rods and pistons, put in a 4.25 inch stroker in it for a 496. Use a set of hyperwhatyouever-call-it's pistons from kb (pretty inexpensive for stroker pistons), and a cast or cast steel crank to keep costs down. Throw in a mild cam and call it done.

My guess is could be done around $2000-$4000 depending on how much machine work the block and heads need.

That is of course assuming the block is still salvagable.

5. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

for my first engine swap i just swapped in another 350 and while i was at it i put tpi on it. the motor is great and for everything including the motor it was a little over 1000.

but...with the luck of people(like ryanb)... i wish i just saved my beans and did an ls1.

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

If you need help or a hoist let me know.

If you need rods let me know, I have a stock set sitting at my parents. They even have stock pistons on them still.

I would vote rebuild or crate. Rebuild you can kinda beef it up a bit. What about a 8.1 vortec motor? I say one on ebay last night for about 3-4k. About what you would have into a crate motor. And if you did the 8.1 the pacificfab guys can take care of you.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

a slightly modified 454 should fit the bill nicely :)

of course a 6bt cummins swap would be nice:bow:

8. dremu

Hoist I have. Now, getting the old girl up the (inclined) driveway and into the yard ... well, I'm just glad the K5 has a winch =))

The thing with the Vortec is FI ... nice, but pricey, and hassle, and more stuff to break. My fuel economy sucks, but the truck is SO simple...

-- A

9. dremu

Yeah, I keep thinking about a Cummins ... but it turns into LOTS of work, plus a bit more $$ than I wanted to throw at it. :thinking:

-- A

10. dremu

Oh, and thanks ... I'll keep ya posted on the parts needs. I may well go rebuild with 4x4High in Fremont... just hope my block is intact :rolleyes:

-- A

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Id do one in a heartbeat. They just took both of thier truck to moab and back towing. The only issues that I know of where a broken clutch master.

Did you make it to moab?

12. dremu

Ha, I wish. I got sick, we turned around, and THEN she seized up.

I'm thinking that either BlazerBash is bad juju for me, or at least 80 through CA-NV. :haha:

-- A