Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor guru's rod help ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jul 5, 2004.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Motor guru\'s rod help ?\'s

I am in the process of putting a new crank in a buddies motor he lost a rod bearing. This is the worst I have ever dealt with very little bearing was left and the rod bore is slightly galled from running on it for a reasonable distance after it started to knock. Do rods get out of round if they were banging around in there for too long, and is that galling gonna be a problem, you can see it but just barley feel it. Can I just get a new rod and put it in to replace that one with out hurting the motor (not sure if the rotating assemble was balanced by the previous owner). And are 305 rods the same as in could I use one since I have a couple here. Or should I just put a new bearing in and hope for the best. Becuase if I have to take the rod out I will have to pull the head so I should just to a complete regasket if I have to go that far. But thats more than I really wanted to do at this point.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: Motor guru\'s rod help ?\'s

Dude, don't take any short cuts..If you smokes a rod bearing, get the rods re-resized. Chances are the crank is messed up too...Do it right the first time...I vove for pulling the motor, turing the crank, re-sizing the rods and new pistons and rings and bore the block.
    If you doi it right and do all the prep-work yourself you should be able to get all that done for about $400...The shop that build my motors charges:

-$110 to grind a crank (this price INCLUDES balancing of the rotating assembly too)

-$80 to bore and hone

-$70 to re-size the rods

Pistons and rings for SBC's are CHEAP if you just get OE replacements and not some fancy forged stuff...

Chris

3. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I would not take short-cuts, there is no such thing. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Have you considered purchasing a shortblock? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude, don't take any short cuts..If you smokes a rod bearing, get the rods re-resized. Chances are the crank is messed up too...Do it right the first time...I vove for pulling the motor, turing the crank, re-sizing the rods and new pistons and rings and bore the block.
    If you doi it right and do all the prep-work yourself you should be able to get all that done for about $400...The shop that build my motors charges:

-$110 to grind a crank (this price INCLUDES balancing of the rotating assembly too)

-$80 to bore and hone

-$70 to re-size the rods

Pistons and rings for SBC's are CHEAP if you just get OE replacements and not some fancy forged stuff...

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]built lots of motors, some high performance, no shortcuts on the bottom end, unless you like doing it again (for free) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

There is supposedly only 12,000 miles on the motor. I am putting a new crank in. I think the bearing was bad when installed and thats why it let go so early thats why I was hoping to only have to switch out that rod and do the crank and new bearings (rod and main). All the other bearings looked new practically. How bout the ? about 305/350 rods are they different.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always felt if you need too replace the crank shaft, then go ahead and do a complete rebuild. If in question about the rods, replace them.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the rods are the same, the cranks are the same also, BUT they are ballanced differently from the factory.

i would change the rod, rods will be out of round from banging around.

if the motor only has 12k on it then i would just put rings in it, unless the pistons show alot of wear. here the are some prices around me for parts
    cheap flat top pistons $60
    hastings rings $32
    felpro gasket set is $35
    clevite rod bearings $15
    clevite main bearings $23

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    How bout the ? about 305/350 rods are they different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how much different they could be on stock motors. Crank is the same as a 350, bore is smaller on a 305. Compression was raised on 305's but I think that was in the heads. Betcha they are the same 5.7 inch rods as most small blocks ( 400's are shorter ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif