Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor help needed *Got it running -- Then...*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Jun 26, 2006.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Stock 6.2 diesel, ran great 3 years ago when I pulled it. Went to turn the motor over for the first time in 3 years, all I get is the starter click. The starter battery cable is also getting very hot. Have 2 brand new optima yellow tops, so I know theres plenty juice and a brand new tested starter. Plan on pulling the glowplugs and putting marvel mystery oil in the cylinders tomarrow and try and turn it over without the glow plugs in. Any other ideas?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Pull the glowplugs, oil in the cylinders, let sit for 24 hours. Then turn it over by hand a few revolutions before trying the starter.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sounds good, I'll try that. How much oil per cylinder?

4. 3 on the tree

If I were doing it, enough to cover the entire piston. Once you get it turning over by hand "easily", then hit the starter and let the oil blow out the glowplug holes. Kinda messy, but it beats the smokescreen you would get firing it up with all that excess oil in the cylinders.
    When I deal with a stuck engine, I just use 1 or 2 cans of WD 40, and fog the hell out of each cylinder, putting the plug back in each as I go to keep the mist in. Then 24 hours later, pull plugs back out and turn over by hand. Never unstuck a diesel before, but should be the same. Got my 429 up and running after sitting 8 years, no smoke or noise.:D

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Got the motor to turn over, now haveing trouble getting the diesel to start. Might still have air in the lines.

6. 3 on the tree

Been down this road w/ heavy equipment that morons ran out of fuel. Crack the injector line loose where it connects to the injector. Spin the motor till no bubbles appear, just fuel leaking out the connection. Kinda messy, but it works. Do all 8, and it should fire right up.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I know the procedure. By the time I got done doing that last night it was allready 10:45 and not wanting to start. Will try again today after work. Fuel system was completely bone dry, pretty sure its just air in the lines still. Also need to look at all the fuel line conections and make sure there are no air leaks.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its the right way,but...

Most shops in my area just disable the glow plugs,and use WD-40 or starting fluid to get a diesel fired up after changing a fuel filter or other work that lets air into the system..more than one diesel mechanic said to me "the RIGHT way is to crack the injector lines and crank it,or use the manual "priming pump" if so equipped--but in many cases the truck is still balky to start,and I've wasted a few starters cranking the motor over so long"...plus I'm in a hurry,I have a lot of trucks to fix,and cant be fooling with one thats "airbound" all day!....

I am always paranoid about using Ether,but they all claim as long as the glow plugs cant get energized,it wont hurt anything..and one guy added--"be sure to have the engine spinning over for several seconds,THEN shoot the Ether down the intake!--DONT squirt it down the intake,and then get in the truck and try starting it!!--that is SURE to cause it to bind up,kick back and possibly crack or ruin the starter,and is VERY hard on the pistons,rods,and crank...

I did it wrong !--no wonder I had such a time getting my 6.2 fired up when I first got it!..:doah: ..now I know better!..:crazy:

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

OK, might try that If I can't get it started by just bleeding the air out.

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Woo Hoo got it running just doing the normal priming. Did some donuts in the storage unit parking lot and then the motor died and wont start again. Going to reprime it tomarrow.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

look for...

Start looking for leaks in the fuel lines..my truck had miles of rubber hose instead of metal lines some boob put on before I got it,and it was all cracked and dry rotted,but not leaking--it let enough air in to make starting it a real pain..I chopped it out and put steel lines back in,and new rubber hoses where needed,and that cured it..it starts right up after sitting for weeks with no troubles now..

I also installed a universal electric fuel pump right next to the tank,to aid in priming the system..I had dual tanks,but one rusted out and leaks,and the previous owner completely butchered the OEM tank switches and wiring,so I simply disconnected it and only use the one "good" tank..I'd never be able to afford to fill two tanks anyway,nor do I go very far where I'd need that much fuel..I can go 350 miles on one tank easily,maybe 400 if I dared!..:crazy:

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thats what I plan on doing. Still have all the factory hard lines. Just going to replace all the rubber to be on the safe side. Also the fuel pump.

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

When I first built my trail truck I had a hell of a time getting the motor started and it ended up being air in the injector lines. Even after I got it started innitially, it would still be a bitch to start so once I got it running again, I cracked each injector line open at the injector to bleed any remaining air out and that seemed to do the trick, it starts almost right up now and I'm prety sure it has ****ty compression.