Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor is in, Now for the fun part...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by kennyw, Nov 8, 2004.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have to modify my core support slightly for the wider radiator (my truck is a '79) and one hybred hydroboost line to go from the o-ring style booster to the flare fitting p/s gearbox... Or if I can find an o-ring style box for a decent price I might swap it over quick instead, but I will probably need new lines for the hydroboost anyway.

Rene or anyone else, what did you do to fit the big diesel radiator in your 73-80 body style? Got any pics?

I'm also looking at installing this with the least amount of wiring and wont be running the full factory harness. Probably look at running semi-manual glowplugs (put a single LED in the original dash bezel) and a simple after market filter and not worring about water-in-fuel or low coolant sensors. Anyone got any ideas to throw at me on this?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My truck is an 81, my core support is from an 85 I think so the rad dropped in nicely...sorry.

If you have the donor engine bay wiring I'd use it. It's pretty much plug and play (although I used the under-dash wiring as well)

Did you have to clearance your firewall? I did...but I think that was because of the wreck my truck was in. Pushed everything a little forward. It was only at the rear passenger corner.

Rene

3. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

I'm doing the same thing, but with a '79 Jimmy. Did you use just the radiator support, or did you swap in the entire front clip from the '85 donor truck?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just the rad support. My truck already had the new style front clip.

Rene

5. kennyw

Didnt have any clearance issues other than the valve covers hitting the vacuum booster on my first attempt at installing the motor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Had to take it out anyway for hydroboost so I was able to fix that fairly easy.

I'm planning on using the original core support and front clip because I dont need to be cutting and patching the hood hinges onto a rust free truck (It would only give it a place to rust around the welds).

I have the donor truck wiring, but really dont see a need for half of the wiring that the facory used. The gas motor wiring fits the starter, alternator, temp sender, oil sender, and with one splice (soldered/shrink wrapped) will reach the injector pump from the original HEI connection. All I need to add will be the cold engine circuit (high idle and other connection on injector pump) plus the glow plugs. I wont be running cruise or AC so that wiring isnt nessisary, the low coolant isn't needed since I have a habit of watching the coolant level anyway (guess the cracked heads on my small block would explain the water loss?), and water in fuel wiring doesnt seem like it would work with an after market filter setup...

I'll probably use the 3 prong weather pack connector still though to carry the glow plug light signal and tie into the ign circuit to run the extra cold engine circuit.

Has anyone modified a 73-80 core support to fit a large diesel radiator?

6. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

Let me know how your radiator and raditor support modifications go. I'll be doing this some time early next year, so any help and information will be appreciated.

7. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me know how your radiator and raditor support modifications go. I'll be doing this some time early next year, so any help and information will be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

New plan of attack... take the tanks off the large diesel radiator and have them put on the 454 4 core radiator I have laying around since it is about 3" shorter and would be a bolt in. Then I can use the 454 fan shroud and hold down bracket from the 73-80 body style /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just ordered a new shroud, hold down bracket, and 4 rubber mounting pads from Chevy Duty tonight for $58. The 454 radiator would work as is, but I would loose the oil cooler just running it that way.

Chevy Duty Part #'s incase anyone is interested:
    Shroud 78-955
    Hold down 78-842
    pads 78-772

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

New plan of attack... take the tanks off the large diesel radiator and have them put on the 454 4 core radiator I have laying around since it is about 3" shorter and would be a bolt in. Then I can use the 454 fan shroud and hold down bracket from the 73-80 body style /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just ordered a new shroud, hold down bracket, and 4 rubber mounting pads from Chevy Duty tonight for $58. The 454 radiator would work as is, but I would loose the oil cooler just running it that way.

Chevy Duty Part #'s incase anyone is interested:
    Shroud 78-955
    Hold down 78-842
    pads 78-772

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way to do it.
    I do have the 454 4 row radiator here and I do have a seperate oil cooler so I don't even need to work on it, cool.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. kennyw

For the lower radiator hose a stock one works great, for the upper you will need a 1.75" flex hose about 18" long. Only problem with the stock 454 radiator is the upper hose connection is too small so you may need to change out that side of the tank. Cost me $150 to have the radiator rodded out and tanks swapped.