Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor making knocking sound…..bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mopo69, Jun 28, 2004.

1. mopo69

mopo69 Newbie

Greetings, New member here and need advice. I have been reading this forum a few times and lot of good info. Now I am looking a rig for myself and came across one. This is 1985 and has original 305 motor. Seller said that I will run nicely when cold, but when it worms up there is knocking sound. Anybody has any thoughts? I think bearings going out?? But not sure. Body of this one is almost rust free and nice inside too. Will go to see tomorrow and test drive. What to check on Blazer (never owned one)?

Thanks a bunch,
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

First, fill out your profile so we can get an idea of where you live etc. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A knock in an engine is never good. Probably a bad bearing, which means the motor needs to be rebuilt. If you have a 305, and it needs to be rebuilt, my suggestion is to go ahead and put a 350 in it, because it will give you quite a noticeable difference in power. As far as the engine in an 85, they are pretty simple, so it isnt very hard to take the engine out and put it back in yourself. But thats another story. As far as what to look for, depending on where you live, most blazers have rust somewhere. Even if there is none noticeable, if you look hard enough you will find some. The most common spots are on the rocker panels (sometimes under the rubber door molding), behind the carpet where the seatbelts bolt to the truck at the bottom, the floor panels beside the drivers and passengers seats, and also in the wheel wells. You should also look for signs of misuse. Check the oil to make sure it looks like it was changed on somewhat of a regular basis, check the tranny fluid to make sure it is pinkish instead of brownish. Also be aware that blazer odometers dont go to 100,000 miles. I dont know why, but some genius engineer at gm thought our truck wouldnt make it to 100k or something like that. Anyways, if the seller advertises something like say 85,000 miles, and that is what the odometer shows, be aware that it may be closer to 185,000. Also check the ground under the truck for any large leaks of any kind. Anyways, welcome to ck5. Any question you will ever have about a blazer, I guarantee someone on here will know the answer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh, this site will also teach you more than you ever want to know. Before I started comming here, I didnt know [darn] about cars. Now, I have taken out and put in engines, taken out and put in transfer cases and transmissions, put on lifts, put in new axles, and can basically fix anything on my truck (and im only 17 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). Youll get the K5 disease sooner or later. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    -Harrison

3. mopo69

mopo69 Newbie

Thanks for the respond. I had many years ago an older car and then motor started knocking and it was bad bearings. Had to actually go and get a new engine. Yep I live in here MO where everything get rusted and all Blazers and Jimmy’s I had looked are quite rusted. At least the prize range I am looking /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Well I will go see this one tomorrow and see how bad it is and if the prize us right I might just get it and then swap engine to 350. Maybe crate motor…

Thanks again.