Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor mount pole

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S. Burnham, Jan 14, 2006.

?

which mounts would you run if vibration was not an issue

1. solid steel mounts

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. standard ruber mounts

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. energy suspension mounts

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

what motor mounts do you guys recomend. I have used solid mounts in race cars in the past and liked them. I just don't know about the performance in a 4 wheel drive application.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just run regular replacement ones , I wouldn't like the poly stuff with the way my tranny hits second .

The ones on my engine are still the originals . The tranny ones are 2 years old .

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not good..

I think they cause problems..I rode in a few cars with solid mounts..like riding a chainsaw..seen a few tranny tailshafts snap thanks to a solid tranny mount,and stock motor mounts..

I'd be scared in a 4x4 that frame flex would crack the block in half,or the tranny case..definately NFG for that application!..race cars,well,maybe..

I've never seen a 73 up style GM mount break,ever!..the way the steel is bolted over them,its practically indestruco!..the older style ones could separate,but most replacements had a safety "catch" built into them..I'd run stock mounts,and a chain on the drivers side with an inch of slack,and never have fears of any problems..:crazy:

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Yea, stock chevy mounts are tough. The rubber went bad in one on my k5, ran it hard for two days at the local mud bog and no prob.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd go with poly if starting from scratch. Engine mounts typically don't go bad, but the tranny ones do. You don't want to mix ANY mounts up. (poly/rubber, etc)

I would stay away from solid...the frames flex way too much in these trucks, and that would put immense strain on the mounting points.

6. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

ok so no solid mounts for me.

thanks for your input guys.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

frame flexes too much for solid mount IMO.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

incorrect, if running solid motor mounts ALWAYS run a rubber or poly trans mount. there has to be some give somewhere.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

always I wouldn't 100% agree with but you are correct. mixing up mount is not a bad thing, if done right. You want it to get looser as it goes downstream. Say, solid engine mount, poly tranny mount or poly engine mounts, and rubber tranny mount.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

seen too many dragcars running solid/solid break the back of the trans completely off. name one good time to run a completely solid mount setup...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

overbuilt chassis. Don't think we have a bushing in the dirt modified car. next chance I get I will look at the transmission mount. The engine uses a mid plate and solid motor mounts in the stock location.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When it is a Drag car and you've got a engine plate and a midplate.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this is a good question with as many answers as people reading.

my personal opinion is run wahtever. anything will do. follow a few guidlines and you will be better off though.

if you want to run polly mounts on your engine, run polly mounts on all of your engine, transmission and transfercase mounts. and i mean all to include the side bracket on the t-case if you have it. same with rubber or solid steel. this way they all have the same amount of flex. now i personaly would not run steel mounts. not enough flex to keep up with the frame of a 4x4.

also i prefer polly over anything else. out of ALL the bushings on my truck only two are rubber. they are the rear spring eye bushing on the rear springs. soem day i will change them out, but with the double shackle design im sure they help with flex a bit. some day i might get it driving as well so i can find out.
    Grant