Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor Mount Problem HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Not specifically a motor mount problem, more a motor FITMENT problem. Here is what is going on:
    I am installing a 350 in an 86 K5, where a SBC came out of. The engine came out of an 85 M1008 CUCV truck. No problem, right? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!! The damn thing WILL NOT FIT. I have new motor mounts, so no issue there, and I have tried moving them around throughout the limited amount of adjustment they have on the frame. One side (either side, I have tried with both) will fall in fine, and I can install the bolt. The other side is about 3/4 to 1" from the hole in the opposite motor mount. I have swapped mounts, but that does not matter. The holes (in the bracket that bolts to the engine and the motor mount itself) are off that distance on the diagonal plane on which the motor mounts sit (does that make sense?). I looked at the frame brackets on the 85, and they have new holes drilled to account for this problem. Here are my questions; Why the hell does this thing not fit?? I have tried 2 sets of brackets that bolt to the engine, and both present the same fitment issue. I know one set for sure came from a 79 K10, unsure about the other set. It seems that BOTH 80's frames have this problem. Do the 85 and newer call for a different set of brackets that bolt to the engine?? HELP!!!!!!!!

Obviously, I am having trouble explaining this...ask and I will clarify any part of this rambling that is foggy..

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ive read it three times and i dont think i am really getting it. But i am not an expert on this. My impression was its all the same.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My impression was its all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was mine, too. That is why I am so damn confused. I measured the holes in the frame brackets on the 85 (that were drilled for this monstrosity to fit), and the centers of the holes are roughly 1/4" apart (center of the original holes to the center of the new holes). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know that I can take the frame mount brackets out of the 85, but I wanted to see if I could find out what gives before I did that. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got a motor mount at Advanced auto and they had the rubber in the middle upside down or turned around, however you want to say it. Traded wrong part for right part and and it fit!

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Is the frame bent or twisted?

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure this is what you are talking about, but when I put the ORD poly mounts in the 80 and the High Energy inserts in the 78, I had problems lining the motor mount brackets up to the new mounts on the frame. With the HE mounts I was about 3/4" off (in a diagonal plane), and with the ORD mounts I was 1+" off (in a diagonal plane). I did the 80 first (hardest), and after prybaring, banging, moving mounts, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc....you get the idea. I finally when out and bought a set of longer bolts that hold the motor mounts to the frame. This allowed me to start the bolts with nuts and hold the mounts on, while allowing me to have more flexability with the mounts. With everything loose, I was able to start the two motor mount bolts with the engine slightly lifted by the hoist (still took a little persuation), and then tighten the bolts that hold the mounts to the frame. I then (because I'm anal) removed one long bolt at a time, and replaced with the proper size bolts.

A while later I did the 78, and after the first attempt of not being able to line it up, I went to the long bolt method and it worked great (and again I swapped the long bolts for the original length ones........but I still have the long bolts for the NEXT time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif).

Hopefully this will help you.......

The stock rubber mounts give quite a bit (to allow for alignment) especially if they are worn, but the HE mounts move very little, and for all intensive purposes, the ORD mounts don't give at all. This is the only solution I have found for fitment.

7. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Make sure that they are giving you frame side mounts for a 4x4. I went to Nappy and they gave me mounts for a 2wd instead of a 4wd and I had the same situation (mounting holes about 1/4 inch off). I took them back and a different guy looked it up and said that they had given me 2wd mounts.

Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the frame bent or twisted?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Same phenomenon on 2 different trucks; neither of which has a bent frame.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With the HE mounts I was about 3/4" off (in a diagonal plane), and with the ORD mounts I was 1+" off (in a diagonal plane).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    This allowed me to start the bolts with nuts and hold the mounts on, while allowing me to have more flexability with the mounts. With everything loose, I was able to start the two motor mount bolts with the engine slightly lifted by the hoist (still took a little persuation), and then tighten the bolts that hold the mounts to the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give this a shot tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am mostly puzzled...I have never had a problem swapping motors to/from GM trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure that they are giving you frame side mounts for a 4x4. I went to Nappy and they gave me mounts for a 2wd instead of a 4wd and I had the same situation (mounting holes about 1/4 inch off).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have looked up the part numbers myself on napaonline.com and Autozone.com, and had a buddy look them up at work (NAPA). All the motor mount part numbers are the same for 2wd and 4wd. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Do you have a NAPA part #?

11. Leadfoot

I have done over 30 motor pulls/swaps on GM V8's and NEVER had a problem lining up with stock rubber mounts (even when using new ones). Every install with Poly (of any form) has led to some frustration. Although, now I don't think it will be that much of a hassle (just a little extra time).

12. DieselBurb

[ QUOTE ]
    The engine came out of an 85 M1008 CUCV truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

All CUCV's came with 6.2 diesels. Are you putting in a diesel in place of the gasser? If so, there are different mounts. Mine is a K20 suburban and there are different 2wd and 4wd mounts but for the 6.2 only. The mounting hole locations are as you described.

13. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I had the same issue with my 82 'burban and the mounts were the same distance on one side and refused to line up. Took 2 of us and alot of prying with a long pry bar and alot of shoving and pushing. Also double check that your tranny isn't hanging you up anywhere or anything else is. Hope to hear all is well about this soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All CUCV's came with 6.2 diesels.

[/ QUOTE ]

The diesel was already gone; the 350 that I took out of the M1008 took the place of the diesel. Just thowing that in there as a frame of reference.

15. DieselBurb

You might check to see if they used the diesel engine mount buckets on the gasser. I am not sure if they have the same bolt pattern.

16. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Took some engine mount brackets off a 350 powered K10. Still no avail. So I yanked the frame mounts that have been drilled out of the 85 and bolted them in the K5 last night. Voila!! Engine fits. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. Leadfoot

Congrats!
    I bet that is a relief and a half...