Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor mount Q

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kev, Jun 19, 2006.

1. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

I'm getting ready to drop a new motor on a bare '72 4x4 frame, with original engine crossmember. It appears to me that the motor mount holes in the crossmember are about twice as big as the motor mount bolts???? Is there supposed to be some kind of bushing/shim/whatever to fill in the gap??? Or did GM design it that way and I just use a big ole washer so I can tighten the mounts down???

Thanks in advance for the replies, I don't want to screw this up!:D

2. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I was wondering the same thing. When I pulled my motor 4 years ago it had huge honking washers on the bolts in the crossmember. They might have made the holes oversize for adjustability. Tolerances probably sucked 30+ years ago.

3. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    get some tips from burt4x4 or greg72

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I can't recall what was there but I know what holes you speak of.
    I removed my old x-member and installed 73+ version...so I can't remember what was holding the old engine mounts to the original x-member...that was like two years ago..:confused: :doah:
    Good luck
    Burt

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is a big washer that is about 1/4" thick that is used on those bolts. It reminds me of a crank balancer bolt, just smaller outside diameter. ;) If you need a measurement or anything, let me know.....I'll measure mine.

IMG_4139.JPG