Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor Mount woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jun 20, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm running a BBC in an '87K5 orig equip w/ SBC. The PO had shimmed the transfer case down for vib - I've raised it back up and now the fan contacts the lower shroud.

Presumably the mount assemblies are from a 2wd application and thus are sitting low. I'm going to check the clamshells this evening to see if they are OK or worn.

Seems like there are numerous threads on the subject. 4wd mounts do not seem easy to find. Q: is it possible to shim the motor mounts up on the frame side or otherwise correct the mounting location?

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

When I took the diesel out of my 83, clamshell that bolts to the motor had kinda thick washers betweet the block and the clamshell. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't thnk the motor had ever been out of the truck prior to me owning it. They were at most .125 in thick.

Steve

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

One option - ORD makes mounts specifically for the sbc to bbc swap.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

ORD mounts

Yep, they look nice but are a bit too expensive for my taste. 160+s&H.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

??????

I used the same brackets on my 454 that I swapped in place of a 350 on my 74 K20..the same brackets now are bolted to the 400 SB I took out of it--no vibrations or other problems(but I had no suspension lift,only a 3 inch body lift)...there are at least 2 styles of brackets that I know of --most 4x4 brackets have the thru bolt holes 1 inch farther away from the block,than the 2wd truck and passenger car ones are.

..I've seen triangular plate steel "shims" under the drivers side mount on an 86 G10 van I got a 305 from for my 79 C10--I didnt use it on my truck,and as far as I can tell its not needed on it....I dont see why you could not "jack up" the clamshells with 1 inch square tubing,or cut your existing brackets and add an inch to them--a lot of work you could avoid if you can find the right brackets from a boneyard.. :crazy:

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Boneyard brackets

Thanks. I'll do some calling around. 2nd gen blazers and equiv trucks are hard to find around here.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

getting scarce here too...

The trucks are getting harder to come by here too--since scrap went up to nearly 100 bucks a ton back in the spring here,any yards that had them crushed them,thanks to the fact they are heavy,and were old..even the big semi-trucks that NEVER moved for many years finally got scrapped--the yards even hired guys to cut them up,something unheard of in years past--now that scrap prices have fallen to 50 bucks a ton, the amount of stuff being hauled in has dropped a lot--and the junkyards have started to look more like open pastures than a junkyard!-

-If I did not need the cash,I probably would not have junked my 74 K20,but kept it for parts...I kept the motor,doors,transfer case and some other stuff,and filled it up with scrap metal I had in the yard,and some old axles--I got 225 bucks for it,at 6200lbs,75 a ton when I junked it..its going to be tough to find any 4x4 GM trucks from 73-87 here from now on... :frown1:

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ralph, we do have a bit cheaper mount that just replaces the frame side, they're the daystar mounts that run around $120 for the set and are still nice and stiff but don't have the beef of the full replacement set.

I built a motor lift for my crewcab because the turbo exhaust manifold was hitting the frame rail and I just drilled some offset holes in a piece of 3/4" plate to space the entire mount assembly away from the frame.

9. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

10. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Ebay - 3.1116

Picked up a set for $27 shipped - heck of a deal. Hopefully I'll receive them in time for the weekend.

11. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Done

I just finished installing the energy suspension inserts last evening. What a difference - It raised the engine ~1". I'm really looking forward to reduced torque wrap and a bit better rear ds angle.Pretty simple installation.

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Make sure you use a poly mount on the tranny/t-case adapter too. If you dont you will break the adapter or tranny case..

John

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll second that, but I will say there is usually more of an issue when it's the other way around (poly t-case mounts and rubber engine mounts). I installed poly t-case mount to keep the shifter from twisting and NEW rubber motor mounts and broke the TH350/NP205 adapter ($$$) because the engine twisted in the rubber mounts and the t-case mount wouldn't give (as much). It broke the tall "leg" of the adapter in the process (Granted it was while truck pulling though).

14. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Trans mount

Thanks, it's on my list as well.

BTW, PO had utilized 7/16" through bolts on the clam shells vs. 1/2". The mounts and brackets clear 1/2" no problem. So I upgraded to 1/2" for a few bucks in order to reduce slop a bit more. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  15. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

motor mounts

the mounts for a 6.2 diesel are taller than 454,350