Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor mounts not lining up perfectly

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 75-K5, Apr 2, 2007.

1. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Anyone else had trouble with using gasser (350) motor mounts with the 6.2? Tried to mount mine last weekend and they wouldn't quite fit. Driver's side went into place, but that leaves the pass. side about 1/2" off. Almost like the mount needs to slide "up" on the frame (as in vertically). Otherwise, just can't get it aligned to where the bolt will go through. Part number is different for the '91 Suburban that the motor came out of, but doesn't look like it would mount to the frame correctly. Plus, I just bought the poly inserts instead of the entire clamshell so I'm reusing the stock '87 (305) brackets.

Do I just need to forcibly coax this mount in place, or am I missing something? I will post a pic this evening when I get all pics from the weekend uploaded.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If there has been frame twisting you could have a missalignment.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had to dink around a little to get mine to bolt up...but I don't think it was off by half an inch. More like 1/2 a hole.

rene

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well I might have exaggerated a little, they are about 1/2 a hole off. So you think they just need some boinking?

5. tRustyK5

I used a pinch bar to get them lined up a bit better. You're dealing with a 20+ year old frame that likely isn't as perfect as you'd like...and in my case my truck has been hit hard at least once and rolled at least once. Pretty hard to expect that sort of stuff to just line up with that kind of history.

Rene

6. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I changed my motormounts we were three guys and had a lot of beer :thinking: and it took a whole day.
    Maybe it was BC I went off the road once when I did not want to :doah:
    My frame is really bent and boinking is necessary for most of the wrenching around the frame :wink1:

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well I wouldn't expect anything to line up on this truck. It has been obviously wrecked pretty damn hard at least once in its life. I just wanted to make sure I was correct before I started pounding on stuff. :thumb:

8. tRustyK5

Show her who's boss Jon... :D

Rene

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Update: after using a torsion bar to pry up and 2 24" pry bars to pry sideways and an air hammer to drive the bolts through, she's in!!:D

10. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

you can also loosen the 3 bolts holding the clameshell to the mount tower, get the motor dropped in, then tighten the 3 bolts up. The holes are slightly elongated on the frame side to allow for some adjustment, and this is about the only way I've found to get mounts to line up correctly after removing the mount from the vehicle.