Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tankntwankies, Aug 25, 2004.

1. tankntwankies

tankntwankies Registered Member

im doin my first engine swap and im at the point where i bolt it up to the motor mounts...the passenger side slid right in and you can put the bolt through it no problem but the driver side doesnt seem to be down all the way. it doesnt look like it sittin on anything. it just need to go down about a half or inch on the drivers side... i've tried everything to get it down...is there some trick to this that i dont know?? its a 77 k5 that had the original 350 in it and im putting in a 350 from a 89 suburban

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you just have to move the motor around till they go in, you my have to take the other bolt out to get the other one in.

3. tankntwankies

tankntwankies Registered Member

it is supposed to bolt to the transmission first right?

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

not always. all me do is bolt the motor to the mounts first then put the motor and tranny together

with a stick you need to bolt them together first.

5. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Make sure it's not upside down. I had the same problem a few months ago when i did mine. I'm assuming the mounts i used will fit multiple models. I flipped the problem one over and it bolted right up, a lil wiggle and it slipped right in.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you swap the mounting plates that bolt onto the block from the old motor to the new one,or are you trying to use the ones from the suburban??. I know there are several different versions of those--passenger car ones have the bolt holes about 1 inch closer to the block than the truck ones--during my motor swap in my van I learned the right side mounting plate on the block was a van only wierdo mount they only used a few years,I tried different ones from a similar but newer van,but it didnt line up,so I had to spend a sunday making a metal plate to adapt the ones that I had to the frame pad.I think if you put the plates from the original motor on the new one everything will drop in ok.I'm no expert on the 87 and newer stuff,I deal with older ones mostly,if anyone else knows more about the newer trucks mounts,they will probably have some advice for you.I'm putting a 305 in place of a 250 six(like my van,same deal)and I'm hoping the mounts wont have to be moved in the frame holes,and the plates on the motor will work without any hassles!.Is the oil filter hitting anythimg??I think they changed the filter mounting pad on the newer motors,but I could be wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Solution

Was there ever a solution to this?