Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

motor options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by usmcanson, May 18, 2006.

1. usmcanson

usmcanson Registered Member

My 87' k-5 has recently been sitting at the garage due to a cracked block. Pulled the motor and saw the crack between 2-4 cylender, head gasket was really bad but heads were still good. I recently stripped it down to a bare block and saved everything. Found another bare 350 5.7 block that i bought for $100. Now my problem is that it is out of a 76 C-10 pickup. Some people tell me i wont be able to use anything from my old motor, like my heads, intake, distributor,cam or crank. The only difference i could find in my manual was the intake and exhaust lobes. The newer is about .01 less than the older. I want to buy a Master Rebuil Kit, but i don't want to have to buy new heads and intake when mine are fine. If anyone has any experience with this please help.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

76 Block will require a two piece seal crankshaft. Your 87 Block as a one piece seal crankshaft. As far as I know, there is no possible way to put a one piece crank in a two piece block. You probably will also need a new flexplate for the 76 as the one from the 87 may not fit.

You'd be better off buying a master rebuild kit with a two piece crankshaft. Your heads will fit on the older block. Just specify when you order the kit that you will be using late model heads on an early model block.