Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Motor options?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WheelinK5, Dec 20, 2002.

1. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

I currently have a 1985 K5 with a brand new 350 in it. The motor is the farthest thing from smog legal as you can get. The reason is I was living in an area that did not require smog. I have since moved to an area requiring smog equiptment and have a problem on my hands.

I want fuel injection and be smog legal. The question is:

What can I do to my brand new 350 to get it smog legal and fuel injected the easiest way?

The motor currently is a stock longblock with a BIG cam, intake, carb, headers to true duals (no cats). There is not one bit of smog equiptment on it. The motor is pre '86 from GM Goodwrench.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Im in the same boat you are but im in california /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. From what Ive been able to find out your gonna have to go with some kind of stock GM efi that was from a smog legal car/truck with all the emmisions stuff for that. since you proably want more performance than hassel with a built 350 your best be is probably a TPI from an old camaro/firebird or corvette. the big cam might cause you problems on the sniffer test but you might be ok with a properly tuned engine.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well the best thing to do to pass smog is to make your truck look as stock as possible.
    You will need cat convertors. beings your truck came stock with single exhaust. it would be best to go back to it. A good single 3" flowmaster exhaust kit will flow good and look like stock.
    I would dump the big cam and get a milder one. Big cams are hard to pass smog with.

As for the fuel injection. I think Nevada law says you cant change the vehicle emmision system from stock. Your truck came with a carb so there is a problem.
    But i think you can get a waiver if you spend more than 250.00 on it and the truck will pass smog. A fuel injection system will cost far more than that so you may be ok but I would call DMV first. and find out if you can do it.

Get a hold of the guys at (link):turbocity.com They are a california company and deal with tough smog laws.They build complete aftermarket fuel injection systems using the stock GM TBI system. They know what they are doing and should be able to help you get smog legal FI
    I dont think it will be cheap if you want FI and performance plan on spending 1500 - 2000 if you want to be legal.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

In a 4x4, I'm more after low end torque the upper end HP. If you're rebuilding, think of getting a 383 Crank kit (Includes Crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, ...ect. You can order it for higher compression if you wanta have more torque and hp. Most machine shops can order and assemble it for you with a warrentee. Or you can order this

And don't forget 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think Nevada law says you cant change the vehicle emmision system from stock. Your truck came with a carb so there is a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of a state doing this. I always thought that it was the other way around. If stock was FI then you can not go to a carb. Any state that is concerned about emissions, should be begging carb folks to upgrade to FI.

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It would seem logical right?
    Well here in CA, I am still studying the laws but you can have a perfect sniffer test but if what ever you used to get it this clean isn't approved you can't pass. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I hate DMV /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Where are you Chazz /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, you are right. As long as you go *newer* you are ok, but it's still tricky when you get to the nitty gritty of it all. All emissions components from the newer vehicle need to be present too, not just the engine. There's more to it as well concerning engine size, etc., but that basic is, its illegal to go backwards (FI to carb, remove EGR, etc) but its ok to go forward as a whole. (pull engine/emissions setup from Camaro, install it in 1976 K5)

9. WheelinK5

Ok so what would be the easiest smog legal way to go FI on my 350 motor? Any kits or do I have to pull a TPI or TBI from another truck/car?

10. dyeager535

basically, these guys kind of sum it up, at least on the harness end:
    http://www.howell-efi.com/emmissions_realities.html

But you've still got to get all the TPI hardware, and with the Camaro stuff ('88-about '91) being fairly readily available, it would make more sense in ease and cost, to find a COMPLETE TPI setup off of one of these cars (perhaps even the car itself, especially if running) and use almost every single piece.

Of course, there is going to be a bunch of little stuff (such as the intake bolt pattern, fuel tank/pump) but no matter what route you take (complete car or a kit from somewhere), short of paying someone else to do the work, the little stuff is going to be there.

Trust me though, piecing together a setup is NOT the way to go, if you go new or used, you HAVE to get EVERYTHING at the same time, or you will pay hell trying to track down this piece and that, and paying through the nose for each individual piece. You can typically find complete used TPI setups, including wiring, for $5-700.

11. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Move /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. WheelinK5

Thank you Doran! Do you think TPI is the way to go with a pre '86 350?

13. dyeager535

Personally, yes, I think TPI is the way to go. The ONLY benefit to TBI is that it would be an "easier" swap IF you got all the parts out of a TBI truck. Even then its not completely bolt and go I'm sure, so for the gains of TPI, I say yes, its worth it. Guessing here, but I got a fairly good deal on my COMPLETE TPI setup (minus fuel pump), $500, and I have a feeling TBI setups aren't going for way less, likely in the $300 range on a good day.

As an aside, I misspoke, the '85-91 TPI units are fine, but in your case, I'd look for an '86, since the intake manifold will work on your heads. ('85 ECM's are a little sluggish as I recall) Anything later uses a different bolt pattern on the intake, meaning either a head swap, or procuring another intake is in order, which just adds cost.

If you aren't in a huge hurry, you are lucky, you have time to look around, study, and figure out what is going to be best for YOU. (I *really* recommend checking out some of the Camaro manuals, such as the one scanned in the tech section at www.thirdgen.org, to get an idea of what you will be getting into) Nothing to be afraid of as long as you can read the wiring diagrams pretty much...once you understand what is what, it all starts making sense, instead of looking like a huge pile of random wires.

Everyone's got an opinion, so mine is that for the gains/cost, you might as well go TPI over TBI, unless you can get the TBI parts way cheaper, easier, and don't mind "loosing" some power. (stock for stock, not talking modded stuff) Others will and do feel differently, and they are 100% entitled to that opinion, as long as they (and you) base their decisions on, and use, facts.

14. WheelinK5

Dorian, thanks for your time and help.